Flappers won't seal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeesnob

Reaction score
Are the $4.00 "korky's" as good as the expensive flappers? I have tried about 4 of them and they never seal 100% all of the time. I also need to use a small amount of stopcock grease on the flapper to get it to seal better. Also I have heard leaking could be a bad plastic seat that the flapper seals against but if feels smooth with no nicks on it. And finally if you think I need to replace the guts is this a fairly easy task for a non plumber? Do you have to take the tank off the toilet to put on that plastic seal ring if so is it pretty straight forward... Thanks all..:eek:

You will need to remove the tank from the bowl. Shut off the water under the toilet and make sure that it is completely off. If you have a ball valve in front of your home at the service into the house, use that valve to shut the water off. Fllush the toilet holding the handle down to remove all of the water. Some water will remain in the bottom of the tank so use a sponge to get rid of that water so your tank is completely dry. Place a bath towel under the angle stop shut off valve under the toilet and unscrew the connector to the bottom of the tank. The towel is to absorb that remaining water in the tank. Loosen the bolts that hold the tank to the bowl. Be careful these fixtures are usually vitreous china and break easily. Remove the tank and place it on the floor on its side so you can unscrew the large nut that holds the Douglas Valve to the tank. It is usually a large plastic nut so you will need a 14" pipe wrench or a slick jawed wrench (without teeth) to unscrew the nut. Replace with a new Douglas valve and tighten it more than snug. Place the foam gasket on it and place it back onto the bowl. Re-install the nuts being careful to tighten each nut the same so the tank comes down onto the bowl the same amount and not putting pressure on one side. This will seat the foam gasket properly. Caution: some tank bolts do not have nuts to hold the bolts to the tank, but extend through the bowl. I would get extra nuts and attach these bolts to the tank, if that is the case. This will give you better results and fewer leaks.

Just take your time but if this seems to daunting, call your local plumber. Hope this helps.

Back