Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Plumbing Tools and Equipment > How to remove valve stem in single handle bathtub faucet.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
wndrwmn67

Default How to remove valve stem in single handle bathtub faucet.

I am in desperate need of finding out how to remove the valve stem in my faucet. This is the bathtub faucet, single handle, and it will no longer shut the water off at all when you push the knob back in. I have everything taken off, but I am unable to remove the valve stem. There is no exposed hex nut and I have no way of knowing how to get to it as there is some type of brass clamp type of thing on the end of it. It has two grooves (notches) and as you can see from the picture, a little tab sticking up through the top notch. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

plumbing 003.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
havasu
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

Liked 551 Times on 453 Posts
Likes Given: 95

That is held in place with a c clip, which from the picture is removed by prying a screwdriver in from the bottom. With all the calcium, you might want to let it sit a while after a liberal amount of white vinegar or a chemical remover such as CLR. BTW, that is a great close up pic!

Old 08-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
wndrwmn67

Thank you. With a little researching, I have discovered that it is a brass retainer nut and I was able to pull that out. However, I am still unable to pull the valve stem out. Do you think it will come out easily once I let it soak in the white vinegar or is there another tool that I need to use? Thanks again for your help!

Old 08-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
havasu
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

Many pull straight out, others need to be unscrewed or turned a quarter turn. Not being familiar with that specific stem, I would eliminate the calcium build up and try all of the above options. Once you figure it out, please let us know!

Old 08-21-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
wndrwmn67

Oh my. After much cleaning with the white vinegar, I was finally able to pull this out. I hope I've done the right thing. It pulled out fairly easily. Did I miss any parts? I know this was probably best left to the professionals, but I'm a single Mom and I've just spent a fortune getting my kids back in school and didn't want to be stuck with an expensive repair bill on top of everything else. Please advise.

Thank you!

plumbing 004.jpg  

Old 08-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
havasu
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

Take the entire valve stem to a local Ace or big box hardware store, and attempt to match it up completely. If you have success in finding it, Just reinstall and provided the inside of the valve is OK, it should be fine.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
phishfood
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 565 Times on 455 Posts
Likes Given: 767

You truly ARE a wonderwoman, no discussion needed. That looks like a REALLY old Moen valve, probably from before 1990 or so. After seeing the first picture, I was about to tell you all about a Moen cartridge puller, which I was positive that you would need to be able to pull the cartridge. I am amazed that you pulled it without one.

This looks older than any I can recollect working on, but do shine a flashlight inside of the valve body and check for any rubber seals or parts thereof that may have been left behind. If anything like that is in there, you will need to remove it before installing the new cartridge.

Best of luck to you, and post back if you have any other questions.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:53 PM   #8
wndrwmn67

Hello and thank you both so much for your responses! I had to laugh...I just fixed my dryer a couple of weeks ago (installed a new thermistor) and I've been known to get under my car with a torch to replace the exhaust system. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do! LOL!

I took the cartridge to the hardware store and they had it with the entire assembly. I did buy the Moen cartridge puller and I am in the process of seeing if I can get it pulled out (outer body). The man at the hardware store said it can be difficult sometimes so not to kill myself over it. I'll post as soon as I get any results! Thanks again!

Last edited by wndrwmn67; 08-22-2010 at 12:14 AM.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:37 AM   #9
wndrwmn67

I was unable to pull out the old body and needless to say, ended up breaking the stem puller tool, too! Darn my luck! I tried removing the new stem from the assembly I bought, but I didn't have any luck getting it out, even using that new tool. Looks like I'll be calling a plumber afterall! Thanks again for all of the help!

Old 08-23-2010, 10:03 PM   #10
wndrwmn67

Default Unbelievable!!!

Well, being as persistent as I am, I was bound and determined to get this darn thing out and I wanted to replace the entire piece since I had purchased it new.

I had tried the tap thread and bolt method that I saw on the internet (they make it look sooooo easy), but it did not work for me. The bolt went so far and would just continually turn, not catching anything it seemed.

Before I left for work this morning, I sprayed the entire insides of the cartridge with vinegar and it sat all day long. I decided to give it one more go when I got home so I tried the bolt again and got a hammer. I used the claw end to grab hold of the bolt and gently gave it a tug. I was so excited because the cartridge moved forward and with a little more effort, it was free.

Don't get too excited yet! When I pulled it out, I realized that the last maybe 3/4" of the darn cartridge had broken off and was still inside my pipe! Why me? LOL!

Anyway, I am about to go get ANOTHER cartridge puller and see if I can get that last tiny piece out and get this job done once and for all!

I'll be sure to let you know how it goes! Thanks for all of the help. I appreciate it more than you could know!

Deana

Anyone need any help picking out lottery numbers? LOL! I'm not exactly the LUCKIEST person I know!

old and new.jpg  

Quick Reply