Need help unclogging a tub with a standing waste overflow

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solo1

Reaction score
Hi I can't get the drain snake more than about a foot or two down this standing waste pipe. Is there some technique or something because it just seems to stop with no where to go, and will not reach the clog.

doubtful you will have any success if you even reach the clog. A cable that small isn't good for much of anything. Upgrade to a 3/8" cable

3/8 thru a tub drain trap? I use a an Erickson 1/4" cable. I cut off their head and bend the end. You push the cable in to bottom of trap through the overflow. Leave about 6" between the overflow and the lock screw. Crank it and push like hell. Try a little back spin. NO GO?? Re-bend the end and try again.

I bend the first 1/4" or so about 30 degrees then another bend farther back about an inch or so, maybe about 15 or 20 degrees.

You have to play with the bend. sometime the second bend is a little to the left or right of the first. So it's more of a 3 dimensional bend.

Sometimes I crank that thing tell my arm is numb.

ericksondraincleaner.jpg

Snake it thru the drum trap. You could break the standing waste.

I mis spoke. I looked at my cable today and wouldn't ya know it, the cable is 1/4", not 3/8" like I always thought. I was picturing that small flimsy cable that comes with the $10 Home Depot hand snakes

Back