SUPER clogged toilet!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katt

Reaction score
Whoever used the toilet before me must've messed it up because I noticed the water in the toilet was much lower than it usually is. I did not use that much toilet paper, and I held down the handle while flushing like I was supposed to.

It wouldn't flush at all, and the water just kept building up. So I left it and let it drain for like an hour. I then tried to flush it again after it had drained (still veryyy low in water), and it continued to clog up with water (only water is visible). I did try to use the toilet plunger, but the plunger was broken and ripped, so the heck with that method.

Anyone know what I can do without using a plunger?
Thanks haha. Sorry for being such a toilet noob.

Disconnect the water.
Remove the nuts that hold the tank on.
Remove the toilet seat.
Remove the tank.
Remove the nuts that hold the bowl to the floor.
Lift up the bowl.
Carry it outside.
Turn it upside down.
Go buy auger and run it up through the bottom of the bowl.
Then call a plumber to put it all back together for you.
But wait until Sunday. $$ Double time$$

After reading this posting, ask yourself if you are sure you don't want to call a Plumber. If not, I would not dismantle the toilet until you tried the toilet auger again. 90% of the time the clog is in the toilet itself. Be careful with the auger and go slow. Remember you are dealing with vitreous china and it can easily break if you are not careful or are too agressive. If you feel like you may have reached the stoppage, pull the auger handle out slowly. You may have paper or something else on the end of your snake. If not continue to ease the auger snake down into the trap way. Turn it slow with a little pressure pushing the snake down through the trap way. Take your time. If you feel like it is binding, reverse the rotation of the handle to let off and pull it out again. If you still have nothing on the end of the snake try again until you push the handle all the way into the body of the auger. Keep turning clockwise and slowly bring the snake out. If the water level drops, flush the toilet with the tank lid off so you can lift the float to stop water from overflowing. If you don't have results by now, let it drain down and then remove the toilet at the closet ring and set it into a cardboard box. Then run your auger through the closet bend in the floor, all the way. Take a garden hose with a shutoff valve on the hose end and flood the closet bend to make sure you don't have a stoppage further down in the line.

I think what Mr. David was implying was that maybe just going to the store and buying a decent plunger would be the best start. For $8-$15 you could give it a go instead of paying maybe a minimum $60 (or up to $180) to do something similar.

ToiletAuger.jpg

Back