Toilet maintenance

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Partsman41953

Reaction score
Hello,

I have 3 Eljier toilets that came with my house, which are around 15 years old. They all seem to flush the same now. If you do not hold down on the handle for a couple of seconds they will not empty the bowl no matter what is in it. I was wondering if there was a way to clean them to get the rust out from under the rim or if they need to be replaced. If they can be cleaned what should I use to try to get them to flush better as new toilets are a little pricey right now.

Thanks

Calci-solve. Acid!!!!

Be careful
Don't inhale it.
Wear gloves.
It will burn you.

use and old toilet brush for the rim. cover the bowl with newspapers and let it sit for an hour or more.

Don't use it if you have any cracks in china. It will generate heat as it works

Try it on worst bowl before you do the others. DO NOT USE IT IN TANK

bbb.jpg

I'll need to try that Calci-solve acid as well. I have the same rust stains in my toilet. I tried the "as seen on tv" product called CLR, calcium, lime, and rust remover that I bought for $5.99 and that product is worthless. As for holding down the toilet handle for a few seconds in order to completely flush the toilet I would suggest changing the flapper which should flush the toilet without having to hold the handle down. An old flapper will do that.

Calci-solve. Acid!!!!

Be careful
Don't inhale it.
Wear gloves.
It will burn you.

use and old toilet brush for the rim. cover the bowl with newspapers and let it sit for an hour or more.

Don't use it if you have any cracks in china. It will generate heat as it works

Try it on worst bowl before you do the others. DO NOT USE IT IN TANK

...hmm...

Does the OP mean to imply that the buildup within that flush rim will not allow enough flow/pressure to push the waste down the trap?

Could you use this product to clean the flush rim (interior) if blocked/clogged by hard water deposits by removing the water tank and letting the product sit in the flush rim? :confused:

...hmm...

Does the OP mean to imply that the buildup within that flush rim will not allow enough flow/pressure to push the waste down the trap?

Could you use this product to clean the flush rim (interior) if blocked/clogged by hard water deposits by removing the water tank and letting the product sit in the flush rim? :confused:

Removing tank and pouring acid into bowl at tank inlet would probably not sufficiently reach the front of the bowl rim wash down holes. best to use a wire to poke out the holes. I use an old allen wrench. The build up is normally what has splashed up under the rim. unless someone is pissing in the tank. If so time to buy a new one

Back