Flexible 1 1/2" Drain Tube for Disposer?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrongEagle

Reaction score
I replaced my MIL's 45 year old garbage disposal with a new one. Once done, I realized that the drain tube linking the disposer discharge to the other sink drain and P trap no longer aligned... the new discharge height is about an inch higher than the old.

I used a piece of flex drain tube to complete the installation but I'm not comfortable with it because I think the accordion part of the tube may collect food particles and will stink. Anyone had any experience with this? If the answer is "yes", it will stink, then I'm looking at two options.

I can put a P-trap into the connections to align the heights or I will have to rebuild the T connection (metal) under the other sink. Thoughts?

TIA

Never use the accordion junk. Take it out and re-plumb the entire drain tubing system under the sink.

DON'T DO IT.!!

You can if you want but post a picture so we can add it to multitude of those DIY'rs who tried and failed. Not Truly a failure, for them it was PURE SUCCESS.

imagesBRSG3MJ3.jpg

images59QO4DD2.jpg

imagesKNJSFD0V.jpg

imagesVRAJICB4.jpg

imagesZ6YCCNDP.jpg

imagesXLCA1K1A.jpg

Reactions: SHR
I replaced my MIL's 45 year old garbage disposal with a new one. Once done, I realized that the drain tube linking the disposer discharge to the other sink drain and P trap no longer aligned... the new discharge height is about an inch higher than the old.

I used a piece of flex drain tube to complete the installation but I'm not comfortable with it because I think the accordion part of the tube may collect food particles and will stink. Anyone had any experience with this? If the answer is "yes", it will stink, then I'm looking at two options.

I can put a P-trap into the connections to align the heights or I will have to rebuild the T connection (metal) under the other sink. Thoughts?

TIA

I ran into the same situation about 20 years ago. I used the flex tube. There were no problems and no smell. When I replaced the disposal again after about 10 years I checked the flex and there was nothing trapped in it.

Back