what're the odds... rebar hole in sewer line...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tws

Reaction score
boy i really did it this time... while putting in a gravel bed with railroad ties i accidentally drove a 5/8" rebar thru my abs/pvc sewer line...

see picture...

what's the best fix... a splice or is there some kind of super tape that i can wrap around this hole i haven't cleared underneath but i believe it goes right thru both sides...

thanks for any help...

ps: what would a plumber charge for fixing this?

GH-23470.jpg

GH-23469.jpg

GH-23471.jpg

yep... just checked the hole goes all the way thru...

Just use 2 no-hub Ferguson ct's its a rubber coupling with a full metal band around it and a piece of pipe. You just use a but driver to tighten the ct's its self ecplanatory. A plumber will charge you $200-500 to fix that.

expose more pipe. Don't use No-hub couplings. they are made for no hub soil pipe and fitting. NH pipe and fitting are slightly smaller in diameter than you ABS/PVS sch 40 pipe. There are similar couplings but the neoprene is a little thicker and if you read the labels it will tell you what kind of pipe it will join together. Look for proflex or mission bands.

Do not use the fernco couplings that just have 2 hose clamps. The pipe can shift and be misaligned when you bury it.

fernco.jpg

mission band.jpg

no-hub.jpg

sc-proflex-main.jpg

Thanks Mr. David those are exactly what I was referring too. But if I'm not mistaken he could just use normal Ct's since plumbing code only requires no hubs under the slab.

use the Proflex bands Mr David posted.

you need to use the CORRECT band. use this chart to get the right one.

you CANNOT use cast iron bands on plstic...they are to big and leak

http://screencast.com/t/aZkXtTcQ

looks like you need 3005-44 4'' plastic to 4'' plastic

cut a 1' section of pipe out, on the 1'' pipe.

put the bands on,,,,fold the rubber back on itself. place in position,

fold the rubber onto the existing pipe and tighten bands equally

Back