frozen water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolfans

Reaction score
Today we had no water after what we used in the pipes/tank. Our well has one of those plastic rock covers with insulation and dirt around the bottom of it. The pressure tank is empty and house is a manufactured. We moved in 2 yrs ago and had no problem but PO did with well and that is why have the insulation. Temp is single #'s for lows to maybe 20's next 2-3 days and Sunday maybe in the high 30's. I moved snow from around the base of the well rock. Is there anything i can do now and then fix it later so will not freeze? Do i need to turn the power for the well off or anything? thanks

Last edited:
Just wondering when it warms up enough can i use spray foam insulation on the inside of the cover? That should help with it?

Last edited:
I'm having a really hard time figuring out what you're even asking here. How deep is the well? :confused:

Do not know how deep the well is. Asking what can i do to try to fix this and to prevent it happening again?Also asking if the spray foam insulation sprayed on the inside of the rock cover would help?

You're saying that your well head is freezing and it is covered by one of those decorative rock covers?

Isn't the supply line from the well buried?

Well Cover.jpg

Maybe consider running an extension cord (GFI) and automotive trouble light (plastic frame instead of metal) and heat under the cover with a 60W bulb. Just make sure the bulb doesn't get too hot or touches anything.

Just spray foaming the interior of the cover may not work as there is no heat source presently to insulate.

If your well looks like the picture above, it's not frozen there. That is a pitless adaptor that is used to give access to the well without having to dig up the pipes which should be well below the frost line. Having a manufactured home, you may find that they put the tank under it and for sure the pipes are under there so what is keeping them from freezing?

If your well looks like the picture above, it's not frozen there. That is a pitless adaptor that is used to give access to the well without having to dig up the pipes which should be well below the frost line.

Having a manufactured home, you may find that they put the tank under it and for sure the pipes are under there so what is keeping them from freezing?

I, for some reason, a$$-um-ed that one would understand the exterior piping is to enclose the pump electrical supply and the the water line would exit under the soil line.

Do you mean the pressure tank would be installed under the decorative cover also? That would asking for trouble.

I am on a learning curve here... :cool:

Do you mean the pressure tank would be installed under the decorative cover also? That would asking for trouble.

I am on a learning curve here...

No, your right that would be asking for trouble. I don't think manufactured homes can sit over basements (I could be wrong too) so I am assuming the tank is either under the home or in a closet somewhere. Being from Florida, I'm used to everything being under a manufactured home or out in the open. By everything I mean plumbing under the home and tank, water filters etc being in the yard by the well.

The pressure tank is under the house. The ground is/was frozen so i could not move the rock cover. Well i may could have but would not have sealed good at the bottom.

The rock is for decoration only. The pitless adaptor is made to sit out in the open. I would be more concerned about the pipes etc under the home. That's probably where the frozen items are.

You could have a couple different problems here from what I am gathering. Is there power getting to the well pump? If there is not power could be a pressure switch or capacitor bank for the well that has failed. usually those are both mounted close to your pressure tank. The other problem could be the water line is frozen. Being from Minnesota this usually happens under the house fairly close to where the water comes through the ground. to unfreeze it just need to apply heat. If there is heat tape on the pipe check to make sure that it is working.

The day it happened it was about 8:00 to 9:00 AM. That afternoon after 1 we had water. Ever since have had water

It was froze and the warmer weather was enough to un-thaw it.might want to put o heat tape or insulate the lines better. I had 5 calls today for frozen lines but the high was -3 here and low was -18. Hate being a plumber in northern Minnesota some days.

Back