Hot water everywhere but showers

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradPan

Reaction score
So recently I have been having this problem:

The two showers (both upstairs, and about 15 feet from each other) can only get lukewarm water. Meanwhile, all the sinks get scalding hot water.

* We have brand new Rheem 50 gallon gas water heater.
* House was built in late 60's

I've tried so far:

1) Heater was set by installer at 130. I raised it to around 135 with no luck. I read that it might be too hot and triggering anti scald device, so I lowered it to 120. Water got a little colder in shower.

2) I took shower head off the one shower and let water shoot straight through pipe, still luke warm

So we know it can't be a shower component, as it would be a huge coincidence that both showers stopped working at same time.

I don't know a lot about plumbing, but I've read it could likely be the mixing valve? So my question is- is there one mixing valve for each shower? There is an access panel for the one shower, but I don't seem to have access to the bedroom shower pipes. The one I have access to looks like this:

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv35432%3Enu%3D%3A598%3E754%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D35998352%3C6347nu0mrj

I am not the handiest person, but I can follow instructions and figure some things out. So can someone at least point me in the right direction?

To test if there's hot water before that mixing valve in the photo, you can pop that pex out of the sharkbite fitting on the hot side and run it into a bucket. See how hot that water is then. You'd obviously need to have a the water off first, then have a helper turn it back on for a short time to fill the bucket. If it's hot, then your issue is with the mixing valve.

Do you know how to remove pex from sharkbite fittings?

Last edited:
I have never done it before, but I can look it up on you tube. I am thinking some debris go in there? When they installed my new water heater 2 weeks ago some black water, then cloudy water initially came out of the faucet. Clogged the mixing valve maybe?

btw, thanks Air Force (Army myself)

I have never done it before, but I can look it up on you tube. I am thinking some debris go in there? When they installed my new water heater 2 weeks ago some black water, then cloudy water initially came out of the faucet. Clogged the mixing valve maybe?

btw, thanks Air Force (Army myself)

Anything is possible. There are small tools in the shape of a U that you can use to remove the PEX. You use them based on the size you need, in your case 1/2". You just snap the tool over the PEX and push onto the fitting and at the same time pull the PEX away from the fitting. This will retract the teeth inside the fitting and allow you to pull it out. If you're unable to get one of these, I've used an adjustable jaw wrench in the same manner.

Thanks for your service ! Are you currently Army?

I was talking to some people that know a little at my job. I think first I might try to take out the cartridge and clean or possibly replace it. I might need to buy the cartridge puller though?

I am currently in National Guard.

View attachment 7228

Do you see the BLACK steel fittings?

You are Guard ,,, I was Air Force,

we use to give you guys a lift, then when you called,,,we would either drop bombs around you or pick you up!
scan0002.jpg

You need to replace any steel fittings with brass fittings, that stuff will rust out in a couple of years and cause $$$$$$$ in damage

YOU AINT RESUPPLYING S***, now you see it, now you don't

Attachments

• scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 82
  • scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
is that a Moen Positemp valve? If so look for UP cast on the top and the cartridge should have an H/C on top as well. you may have it upside down.

If not a Moen, what is it? if it is a Positemp then it might even be rotated 90 degrees out because the cover plate screws are in the wrong position.

positempaa.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I will replace those fittings ASAP. First I just want to get the hot water back in the shower for the kid and wife.

So the valve, is accessed from the front of the shower right, in the handle lever?

I didn't see any labels or markings on it, but it looks like the style might be a Moen.

picture here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0YVZdgkVQOISE9KRzJ3UFVoZ0E/view?usp=sharing

This stuff was all from previous owner. Had been working for last 5+ years and just both had problem at same time... Its gotta be some of debris that passed through from water heater replace.

Last edited:
Yeah, turn the water off first, then take the handle off to access the cartridge.

i love the fact that so called plumbers will conceal sharkbite fittings. that is the kind of stuff that puts our trade to shame. but you get what you pay for i guess

So it might have turned out to be a simple solution.

I was all set to take apart the handle and valve cartridge. I found the access panel in the basement (directly beneath the 2nd floor shower). There was 4 pipes in there, each with a dial-type handle. Obviously a pair for each upstairs shower.

The two hot spickets werent open all the way. I guess the guy who installed the water heater might have messed with them and didnt open them all the way back up.

So now the showers are getting hot water. BUT, I then turned the water from the temporary 140 setting back down to around 125. So hopefully when the water temp lowers, the showers will still be hot. If not, then on to the valve mixers.

Latest posts

Back