New basement bathroom drainage planning

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidral69412

Reaction score
I'm in the early stages of planning out a new basement bathroom install. The space is already framed (it was framed from an earlier install in the basement, but the placement is right for the rest of the basement). I'm not interested in an up-flush system, i'd prefer to not have to worry about pumps going or additional electrical circuits to install. I want to break up the concrete and run the permanent drainage into the main stack, but the positioning of the room would likely require some odd corners in the drain line. I've attached a rough design of the layout of the basement.

i'm basing the location and direction of the drain to the street on the location of the clean-out in my yard, although it does seem to run right next to where the water line enters the house. The main stack is cast iron, and i am planning on using PVC for the new install. I have a wall above the bathroom that i can go through to get the vent to the roof (house is a ranch). I have not yet broken into the ground to make sure the drain is low enough for a 15' run, but i'm havne't talked to anyone who's worked on plumbing in the area who doubts i'll have the space.

To run the drain line, i assume i'm going to have to run the drain around an overly sharp corner, probably around 135 degrees. i could probably work it out to be 2 separate bends, a 90 degree followed by a 45 degree a couple feet down. Can a curve this sharp be an issue?

Also, since the main stack is cast iron, is there a weight issue with having cast iron pipe feeding into pvc underneath it? I'm guessing there's some weight issue since the homes previous owner added some weird support straps attached to the ceiling. I've also considered replacing the entire main stack with pvc since the current laundry tub sits on cinder blocks to properly drain into the stack, and it's cheap looking.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

BATHROOM.jpg

2015-01-28 22.38.29.jpg

2015-01-28 21.27.26.jpg

2015-01-28 21.27.08.jpg

2015-01-28 21.26.51.jpg

Latest posts

Back