Discolored water after tank flush

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaizenjutsu

Reaction score
I recently replaced my well pump and shocked the well with bleach. I ran an outside hose until the water was clear, then allowed the chlorinated water into my house plumbing to each hot and cold fixture and let it sit for 24 hours.

I then continued running the cold water outside until the chlorinated water cleared (tested with DPD tabs). I then cleared the residual chlorinated cold water from each fixture and tested - all good.

The hot water is another story. I got some pretty nasty water from the hot faucets and quickly ceased testing. I figured I'd stirred up some sediment in the tank so I followed the tank flushing procedure detailed in the sticky on this forum. After repeating three times, the hot water, both from the tank drain valve as well as from any of the faucets, is still discolored - sort of like weak tea, and it doesn't seem to be improving. What's going on here? I thought that perhaps the chlorine caused some precipitate in the tank, but why is it still there after several tank flushes?

I tried leaving the tank to settle filled and untouched all day while I was at work and there is little or no difference this evening.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I have seen it take a RIDICULOUSLY long time for a neglected tank to clean up. I would hook a hose to the drain valve and let it run for a long time.

Latest posts

Back