New kitchen

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikepietrzak

Reaction score
First time homeowner and novice plumber here!
I'm putting in a new kitchen upstairs to create a separate rental unit. My question is about my plan for wastewater/venting. Currently there is ABS pipe running from the main stack (let's call it right side of house), under the new kitchen, extending left and down, which currently serves as venting for the main floor kitchen sink.

My question: can I use this line as wasterwater AND venting for the new kitchen? See my proposed drawings here: http://imgur.com/AyJEuiP

Thanks,

Mike

or like this.
If the existing vent was install correctly it slopes toward the kitchen, Not the main stack.

aaa.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure the vent connects to the main stack over here and not go up to the roof? the horizontal vent should not be connected to the waste line from the 2nd floor bathroom unless that bath room was added and improperly connected to a vent stack .

sss.jpg

Thanks for the replies. Yes I'm sure the vent ties into the main stack as in my diagram. I opened a bulkhead to have a look. In fact the bathroom wastewater and the downstairs kitchen venting share a 12" section of pipe going down at a 45 degree angle to the stack. I take it this was not the right thing to do.

It's an old house with plaster and lath and I'm hoping to avoid opening many walls. Assuming they're legal here, would the easiest solution be to use AAVs for both kitchens?

Thanks,

Latest posts

Back