Steam radiator connection 1/2 short

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilked

Reaction score
So our 3rd floor was partially finished to a bedroom. We have a one pipe steam hearing system with radiators. A pipe was installed through the floor and capped, with a radiator in he room, when we moved in. Looks like it had all been done a long time ago.

I popped the cap off and verified it has steam to it. The pipe is 1 inch and I bought a supply radiator valve (angle valve) at the local plumbing supply. Installed it tonight, hailed the 150 pound radiator over and the damn thing is half inch short. Pipe has very little wiggle up (looks like a flange or something limiting it below the floor) and obviously I can't drop the radiator.

So, what to do. Should I get a coupling? Do some work to raise the pipe? Something else?

http://i58.tinypic.com/55nitu.jpg

can the radiator move to the right? and out?

swing joint is what i would do. buy, 2 - !'' street 90's

>>.swing joint

Definition

An arrangement of screwed fittings to allow for movement in a pipeline<<<<

swing joint would allow the pipe to hook up on an angle.

remove valve, install st 90 pointed at the heater, install 2nd st 90 on an angle to line up with unit

install valve, hook up unit

st. 90 is a elbow, male thread on one end, female on the other

IMG_0640.jpg

Last edited:
I have at least 6 inches I can move the radiator horizontally so that is no issue.

If I understand, you are suggesting a 90 to go vertical and then another 90 to come back horizontal, in the process gaining an inch or so up. It seems like it should work, but look a bit strange. Is there no cleaner way? Does a male/ female 1x1 coupler exist?

the make up on a 1'' fitting is bare minimum 1'', so no, their is no way to raise up just 1/2''.

take the riser pipe out of the floor, have another cut the correct length. that all depends on the piping configuration below the floor

that could be very easy:) or a whole new can of worms. :eek:

i generally, do not like to try and unscrew a pipe with out holding a backup wrench on the other pipe

....try it, hell, you do not have anything to loose. if you are 1/2'' to low, that fitting will put you 1/2'' to high

IMHO

Last edited:
I am not too worried about swinging it 1/2 inch the other way. The pipe does have a little play down, and I can always shim the radiator up. I will probably give that a shot before re running the pipe as it is not super accessible from the basement.

Latest posts

Back