Looking to buy a sewer snake for home use.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfitOfDoom

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on buying a large sewer auger "snake" I'll need a 3/4" and 100' of line. I was looking at a few used ones here locally on craigslist and seen two that caught my eye. Both have 3/4" line and 100' lenghts. The one was a electric eel looked in great condition and came with 4 attachments and he was asking $650.00.

The other was a ridgid 7500 "the pictures wasnt clear" but looked in decent shape,but he was asking $1,550 but this one looked like it had the auto forward/reverse feature. I never used one like this,I used plenty of ones like the electric eel,witht he cable in the wire basket and you shove it in as it comes out back into the cage,lol,Those kick my ass!

So my question is are those auto feed/retract ones work good and really make it that much easier to complete the nasty sewage drain cleaning and worth "in this case" about $1,000 more? Are they prone to more problems?

Im just tired of renting these things as we are always going to have problems as long as we live here,so Im ready just to buy one to have it ready and on hand when needed. These are just two models that I seen for sale used locally and am open to other models but would for Sure have to stay under $1,500 and under $1,000 would be ideal. As far as I can tell that ridgid unit sells new for around $2,500 online. I know a few heating/cooling guys and a plumber or two that have accounts at these supply stores,anyone know off hand how much cheaper one of these units would be through something like that?

I'll be dealing with roots in pipes that are around 5"-6" wide. Thanks!

**UPDATE**
Just googled both numbers for the machine for sale and both appear to be in the plumbing business. Unless there closing shop,why would you sell one of these machines? Do they fall apart after so much use,Should I stay away from used machines?

Last edited:
Back