Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Toilets and Sinks > Question about Wax Gaskets

Old 01-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
BRad704
Moderation

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Question about Wax Gaskets

I am looking online at them because I have noticed water around our wobbly toilet, and they have classifications like No. 1, No. 3 or No. 10.... What does that mean? and should I just take up the toilet before buying anything?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
Chris
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

Liked 540 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 45

When i pull a toilet I use a new Jumbo wax ring. I didn't know they had sizes. If I just installed a thick tile floor I would do a jumbo and a regular.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
BRad704
Moderation

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think I'll pull it up first anyway... maybe its just loose or something and I can fix it and tighten the toilet back down... Or I could just tighten it down, and caulk really heavy around the base to keep the water from running out? How's that sound?

Old 01-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #4
Chris
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

Liked 540 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
I think I'll pull it up first anyway... maybe its just loose or something and I can fix it and tighten the toilet back down... Or I could just tighten it down, and caulk really heavy around the base to keep the water from running out? How's that sound?
You need to fix the leak or say goodbye to the floor under there. I would pull it, check the flange, if good and tight throw on a new wax ring and new bolts and tighten it down then re-caulk it.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
BRad704
Moderation

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You need to fix the leak or say goodbye to the floor under there. I would pull it, check the flange, if good and tight throw on a new wax ring and new bolts and tighten it down then re-caulk it.
I know... I was joking about that last part... I will pull the toilet up tonite and see what's going on. I'm sure ya'll will hear all about it tomorrow morning at the latest!

Old 01-06-2010, 11:48 PM   #6
'Cause
My drains are stopped up

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Before you take the two nuts off and pick the toilet up, go out pick up two wax rings, one with the integral funnel looking thing and another just a wax ring. That way you can do the job at one time, be sure to clean as best you can the outlet on the bottom of the toilet of all the old wax ring and also the area around the mounting ring that the bolts slide into. Use both rings, the one with the integral funnel at the floor first, the other on top of it. It will take some pushing down when putting the toilet back, and watch for your bolts, sitting on it and wigglleing-rocking a LITTLE will help 'seat' it in place. I have never in over thirty years had a toilet leak that I used two rings on!

Oh, and do not caulk around the base of the toilet when its installed. If, IF, there is a leak you want to know it!

2. Don't believe everything you think

Old 01-07-2010, 01:33 AM   #7
bradthebard
neither a bird nor plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cause View Post

Oh, and do not caulk around the base of the toilet when its installed. If, IF, there is a leak you want to know it!
Plus, if you use a really high quality caulk, when you go to take the toilet up ecause you are, say, remodeling or something, it will be so stuck that in tryng to break it loose you might just break the toilet.

ask me how I know..

Old 01-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
BRad704
Moderation

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I got it up last night... and replaced the internals while I was at it... I have pics on my phone, will add later...

Nothing really looked wrong with teh gasket, but both bolts had pulled loose, and I guess the toilet just didnt line up anymore. I am going to get a new gasket today, and replace it anyway while I have it all open.

PICS ADDED...

Last edited by BRad704; 01-07-2010 at 03:04 PM.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
majakdragon

BRad704, any time you remove the toilet, a new wax seal is required. Trying to use 2 seals can be tricky and often the top one will slide and block the drain hole causing back-ups. They make thicker seals. Should you decide to seal around the toilet base, leave the back portion open for detecting any future leaks you may have. If the toilet wobbles, use toilet shims.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
BRad704
Moderation

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I went ahead and bought the Jumbo size kit that includes new hardware... havent gotten to put it all in place yet, I just taped the lid down to the bowl so the kids to try to use it...

Tags
wax rings, jumbo, integrated funnel, shims

Quick Reply