Drainage layout and advice for Horse Barn
Hello everyone….I’m looking for some help with running some drain pipe throughout a new horse barn that has just been framed out. I’ve attached a rough sketch…very rough, but hopefully you can get the idea. There are 6 horse stalls with drains in them and 4 drains spaced out in the main aisle. I also want to add a sink in the tack room. I’m a novice when it comes to plumbing – I can tackle any task, but as far as materials and layout for this project, I need some help. I am going to be pouring a 4” concrete floor over the entire area. The drains will tie together (as shown in the drawing) and drain to a dry well.
My questions are:
- What size pipe do I need to use for each of the drains and what type of material? – PVC?
- Do I need the drains before I pour the concrete so I can attach them (without the grates of course) to the top of each pipe coming up to be flush with the floor?
- I’m going to pitch the drain pipes ¼” per foot --- correct?
- These pipes just need to be under the ground and then pitched to whatever depth they are at the end of the run---correct? They do not have to start at a certain depth, do they?
- For the trenches some kind of paper material, then gravel, lay the pipe, then gravel on top???
- What is the best fitting to use to tie in each drain pipe to the main line?
- For the sink I will most likely be purchasing an electric hot water heater…how do I run the lines from the water heater to the sink? – under or above ground?
- The barn is not insulated or heated…how will the water lines for the sink not freeze in the cold weather? – Is there a way to specifically avoid this with a sink in the barn?
- What size pipe is best to run to the sink for water lines? And should I use copper or pex?
- 2” drain pipe for the sink I assume? And does the 2” pipe just tie into the main drain line or do I need to transition to the size of the main pipe? And obviously I don’t need to vent this pipe as there is not a septic system in the barn – correct?
- Sorry for so many questions, but this will be a great help to me to get this started.
Thanks in advance!