Main water shutoff gate valve leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PI76

Reaction score
I have an issue with a very slow leak coming out of the house's main water shut-off. Water very slowly leaks, mostly when the water is turned off or on, from the stem and the compression nut as shown in the picture. I believe the rubber washer or o-ring that is under the compression nut needs to be replaced.

I've tried tightening the compression nut, but when I get it too tight then I can't unscrew/screw the valve open and closed.

I had the city out to shut off the water at the curb so I could take this apart and replace the rubber piece, but they can't get the curb shut-off closed. I don't have enough pipe to have someone freeze it.

Is this possible to fix without shutting the water off? Can I screw the valve closed and remove the compression nut and replace the rubber piece?

I'm sure this leak has been going on for a long time and I can just tighten/loosen the compression nut when I need to turn the water on/off, but I'd like to fix it correctly if possible.

IMG_20141204_213819_160.jpg

With the water crew being there to shut the water off, you should of been prepared to replace the valve, not repair it. That set up could not be easier to work with.

Now that they can't get it off, make them address it. Should something happen in an emergency, they need to be able to shut it off. Besides, it's a service you pay for to make sure your curb stop is functional.

If all else fails, if you remove what appears to be a ground cable you have more than enough room for a freeze machine

Is there a reason not to just replace the rubber ring that is allowing the leak? I'm not a plumber, so replacing that part seems like a fix I'm more capable of vs replacing the whole valve.

They city says that fixing the curb shutoff is my responsibility. The shut-off is actually a few feet from the curb in the lawn, which is the responsibility of the homeowner. I'd have to dig a 6 foot hole in the yard in the winter to fix it right now which isn't feasible with frost.

How much pipe is necessary to do the freeze method and what does that kind of service cost approximately?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I went through a similar experience, where the water department was trying to force me to pay for their wrong doing. After speaking to a few supervisors, they agreed that the cities must have a way to disconnect your service (in other words, shut off your system) and if it is not able to be shut off, it is their problem. Use tact, and contact supervisors as high as you can get on their personnel flow chart. Good luck, and keep us informed.

As far as the valve, go down to your local hardware store and pick up an AMERICAN made ball valve, and get rid of that gate valve.

I did speak to a supervisor and apparently there are people in my town that have had to pay to dig up their own water shut-offs in their yard, or have a party and dig it up with friends manually. There is some imaginary line that is x feet from the street that the city is responsible for and the other side the landowner is responsible for. The water meters are all on the landowner's side. It really does seem bogus that they install them, they have to be the ones to come out and open or close them, but I'm responsible for anything that costs money to fix.

Is there a reason not to just replace the rubber ring that is allowing the leak? I'm not a plumber, so replacing that part seems like a fix I'm more capable of vs replacing the whole valve.

They city says that fixing the curb shutoff is my responsibility. The shut-off is actually a few feet from the curb in the lawn, which is the responsibility of the homeowner. I'd have to dig a 6 foot hole in the yard in the winter to fix it right now which isn't feasible with frost.

How much pipe is necessary to do the freeze method and what does that kind of service cost approximately?

Thanks for the help.

If you are capable of turning a wrench right/left, you can replace that valve. There's no soldering involved. A set up like that, it wouldn't even cross my mind to throw money at an old corroded valve. I would have that valve changed in half the time it takes to disassemble it and replace the packing.

I can't speak for your water commission but there's no way I would be accepting them telling me that the shutoff at my curb is my responsibility, I have never read of such foolishness. I would have a well drilled then throw the meter on their office step....but that may be taking it a little far.

Clearances for freeze machines vary depending on what machine is used. Your best bet is to call a local company for a quote....and realistacly if someone has to come and freeze the line, you might as well tell them to replace the valve while they are there.

I would contact the local news program/paper reporter and stir up a stink
i would request that they remove "their" property from my property.

the reason, their property is causing damage to personal property.
if they are unwilling to upkeep it, get it out

furthermore, if it is your property, why are you paying a deposit for the meter?

check your bill, check your orginial contract

If you are capable of turning a wrench right/left, you can replace that valve. There's no soldering involved. A set up like that, it wouldn't even cross my mind to throw money at an old corroded valve. I would have that valve changed in half the time it takes to disassemble it and replace the packing.

I can't speak for your water commission but there's no way I would be accepting them telling me that the shutoff at my curb is my responsibility, I have never read of such foolishness. I would have a well drilled then throw the meter on their office step....but that may be taking it a little far.

Clearances for freeze machines vary depending on what machine is used. Your best bet is to call a local company for a quote....and realistacly if someone has to come and freeze the line, you might as well tell them to replace the valve while they are there.
How to fix the knob on it if fell off

I guess that spends on what broke. Did the stem of the valve snap? Or did the handle just fall off from the screw that holds it on rusting away?

either way you should be able to aperate the valve by putting vice grips on the stem and turning it, but if it’s inthe kind of state where stuff is breaking, you’re going to want to replace it with new. In an emergency situation you want to be 100% sure that valve will close properly.

And wow...quoting my 7 year old post!

Latest posts

Back