Basement Bathroom Rough In Questions

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I moved into a new place and am getting ready to finish off the basement. There are rough ins for the plumbing but I'm not sure about how they were intended to be used.

There is a 3" PVC drain with a p-trap below the slab that also has a backwater prevention clean out. I assume this is meant to be a floor drain. About a foot away from this drain is a 4.5" threaded PVC cap that I haven't removed yet as it is on quite securely. Is this related to the in floor drain, or something else entirely?

20141211_1603271.jpg

There are two 2.5" PVC stubs sticking up about 12" from the floor and capped with some disposable caps. One is right along the unfinished wall and I assume it is for a sink. The other is about 19" out from the wall and I assume it would be for a shower. My question is on the shower one. Is there any way to utilize it for a shower without breaking out a section of the floor to put in a p-trap?

20141211_1600271.jpg

I'm also wondering about the placement of the stool. There is a 6" opening with a cast iron cap labeled SEWER (you can see it in the picture above on the right hand side of the picture) Inside is greenish PVC type pipe and down inside that is a threaded PVC cap. I assume this is a sewer clean out and not for a stool? The other is a 5" PVC pipe with a domed cap on it that is about 8" above the slab. It is 15" on center out from the unfinished wall so I assume it was meant to be for the stool, but I'm not finding any information on a 5" drain for a stool (picture below shows this). Is there an adapter to use on this?

20141211_1605421.jpg

The last question I have is venting. For the sink I can use one of the sure vents, but will I have to run a vent line for the toilet and the shower?

Thanks for any help. If somethings not clear please ask and I'll try to answer.

Last edited:
Frodo,

Thanks for the layout idea. Regarding the stool, how do I adapt it to the 5" drain? Everything I'm finding is for 3" or 4" drains.

Also here is a picture looking down into the opening where you show the shower pan. Is this what you were thinking is in there?

20141223_132133.jpg

I thought it was a cleanout, but you're saying it's for a shower?

Thanks

The last pic with the tape looks like the top of a backwater valve. I'm in with 2/3 of Frodo's layout. I think what he drew as a shower vent might have been intended as the shower drain.

The backwater valve makes sense in a basement but makes no sense without adjacent cleanouts.

The last pic with the tape looks like the top of a backwater valve. I'm in with 2/3 of Frodo's layout. I think what he drew as a shower vent might have been intended as the shower drain.

The backwater valve makes sense in a basement but makes no sense without adjacent cleanouts.

good point, might also be a tub drain

cut the top off them pipes..look in them.

take your tape measure..slowly put in in the pipe.."feel" if it goes into a 90 or around a bend on a ptrap

put water in the pipe, look with flash light to see if water is standing in a trap

its sherlock holmes time!!!, sure would like to know if thats a shower drain or what

how do you think its roughed in???

20141211_1600271 (2).jpg

Last edited:
...There is a 3" PVC drain with a p-trap below the slab that also has a backwater prevention clean out. I assume this is meant to be a floor drain...

I doubt the backwater valve has a p-trap. Maybe standing water, but not a trap. DO NOT leave it open to use as a floor drain.

I'll bet a stale bolognia sammich out of my lunch bucket

that if you lay out the wall behind the terlet to be 12" from center terlet to edge of wall.

that, from that wall. to the edge of the 2" pipe will be 5' 1/4"-1/2"

i also, think,,that maybe if you were to hit the concrete about in the area a tub box should be. you will hear a different sound..if a tub box was used

ublongoutside. you gonna let us know what is going on?????

20141211_1600271.jpg

Where do the rest of the building drains tie into the BW valve? I doubt that bathroom group would go through a BW valve and then pick up the rest of the building.

It seems more likely the BW valve would be located nearest to its exit from the building. It should also serve the whole building, not just a future add-on.

So the building drain should be tied in downstream of the BG but definitely upstream of the BW valve.

basement.jpg

If the tape measure in the OP's pic starts at the concrete wall, the rough appears to be dead on at 12" Perfect allowance for the lav stub up to be in a 2x4 wall.

good point,

i would like a different look at this.
Yeah, I'm having a hard time visualizing where that is in relation to the other pics.

Is it there and I'm just not seeing it?

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay, I've been busy with holiday festivities including a stomach bug which has been giving me some up close looks at the rest of the house's plumbing...

I've made some discoveries in the meantime and also will try to clarify things a little. Thanks again for the ideas so far.

numbered.jpg

In this picture the following is shown:

1) This is a drain that has a trap. There is another one of these across the basement that the furnace humidifier drains into (not seen in this photo). This one was dry when I moved in and so I added water to keep gas from coming up. Both of these drains are similar in that they have the Backwater access sleeve close to them.

2) This is the Backwater valve access sleeve (labeled on the cap covering it) that I had previously mentioned. The other drain that the furnace humidifier empties into also has one of these.

3) I have no idea what this is. It is 4.5" OD and the cap is threaded in very tight to the point that I haven't been able to remove it yet.

4) This pipe connects to #5 as a "vent". I assume this is meant to to act as the basin drain and also as the vent for the stool. We are apparently allowed to "wet vent" like this in Michigan. It does not have a trap and takes a 90 under the slab toward #5.

5) This is apparently for the stool based on its location from the unfinished wall and its diameter. I had previously measured it as 5" PVC but I re-measured by chipping off some of the cement covering it and it is around 4.5" OD. Is this the correct OD for 4" PVC?

6) This opening is the picture from post #3 that I assume to be a sewer clean out.

7) This I believe is for a shower pan as there is a trap below the slab. I removed the yellow cap which was glued in and it was dry. I poured water in and it came to a level and remains there.

rough.jpg

This is my best guess as to the layout. Will the 1 vent from the sink/toilet suffice for the shower as well or do I need to do something for that?

Latest posts

Back