Vent Pipe question - Massachusetts

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTadry

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a question in regards to whether or not this would be a code violation, specifically in Massachusetts. I have looked at the code directly from the state, and can't find anything that says that it is a violation, but just wanted see if someone familiar with Mass codes can confirm.

I have a leak in my vent pipe in the attic. One vent pipe (2") comes in from the left horizontally to a 3" T (reducer attached between 2" pipe and 3" T), and another pipe (3") comes in from right horizontally to the 3" T. Extending vertically from the top of the T is a very short section of 3 " pipe, then a coupling, then the finally length of 3" pipe which extends vertically through the gasket of the vent pipe flashing and out. The leak is on the back side of the coupling where the short piece of 3" pipe goes into the coupling. It looks like it may not have been prepped and glued properly, and I am 100% positive this is where the leak is. It is NOT the rubber gasket the vent pipe extends through where it exits the roof, as I had initially presumed... I went up on the roof to check, it is in great condition and the pipe is not wet or water stained at all above the coupling. Rainwater is leaking through this coupling and slowly deteriorating my bathroom ceiling.

I know that ultimately I need to fix the problem, but as a temporary fix, can I put a 3" 180 degree elbow on the top of the vent pipe, to keep rainwater from coming in??? Again, I have not seen anything that says I can't according to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, but I want to check to be sure.

Thanks,
Matt

Well if you can't find anything in the code that prohibits you from doing it than just do it. Don't think it will have any effect on the vents ability to allow sewer gases to escape or allow air to flow in. Maybe 135 degrees will work better ( 90 and a 45 ) If it's just temporary should be okay. Maybe you will start a trend and all your neighbors will want to trick out their vents as well. :cool:

ok....let me get this straight. cause i am laughing so hard its hard to type.

the vent pipe, which is a pipe with no water in it, just air. is leaking water.

the rubber boot, on the flashing, that seals the pipe from rain is not leaking, but the pipe is dripping water when it rains/

have i got this right?
the flashing IS LEAKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

get a gallon of tar and pour it all over the pipe, flashing, roof, everything. sooner or later you will fix it

put your wife in the attic, you get on the roof with a hose.

first. wet the flashing and all areas around it

ask wife if she sees any water

second, water the inside of the pipe, ask wife what you see?

a.gif

Last edited:
Everyone loves a comedian.

After further research it appears that it was not only rain water, but also condensation buildup, that was leaking past the coupling. It is apparently a fairly common problem, and as I stated in my initial post, I thoroughly checked the roof decking and it was dry as a bone, even though it has been raining up here in Massachusetts for a couple of days, today included. I had also been up on the roof inspecting the layover of the shingles over the flashing as well as the integrity of the gasket. I also wrote that there was no water on the pipe above the coupling in question. Frodo must have been laughing too hard to read those parts of the post! I might not be a plumber but I certainly am not an idiot!

I ended up constructing a permanent fix last night, essentially rebuilding the entire setup. I had to use a couple of flexible couplings because i obviously could not entirely splice in the setup i built with rigid ones. It exactly duplicated what was there originally, with the exception of the flexible couplings.

I have checked out the result several times today, and there is not an ounce of water, even though it has been raining fairly heavy.

The roof decking is also still dry.

Latest posts

Back