Help big puzzle

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExtraMilePlumbing

Reaction score
So the initial call was for a kitchen line back up in the second floor of a three story condominium complex . I ran a 3|8 cable down the trap arm of the kitchen at about 20to 30 feet my cable didn't go any more I hit something that keep binding up my cable . I cabled for about 1 hour viciously there. Next I went to the first floor and saw three clean outs 2 are two inch and one is 4 inch . I cable the clean out nearest the kitchen going up at about 30 -40 feet before I hit something that just as well keeps binding up my cable . I'm stuck what do you guys recommend . Thank you for you're help I appreciate you're responses. I really on you guys a lot my co workers don't anything about plumbing and our only actual plumber only works Monday to Friday .

you say you found two 2" C.O. and a 4".
In the ground or on the outside wall?
How far apart are they? A few inches or several feet?
Is the sink still blocked?
You said you went up the Cleanout. Did you go down?
Does water show in any of the cleanouts when you run wtr in the sink?
ARE you sure the cable went down the santee and not up at he kitchen trap arm?. That happens a lot. hard stoppage right at he santee and cable takes the easy way ... ^ up

Thank you . You were right . As soon as I was about to abandon the job , another plumber arrived , he was called by the management team . It turns out there was a test tee installed instead of the sanitary tee and my cable went up . So we cut the trap arm to stick the cable down and he used a 5/8 cable to clear the line . I don't have a 5/8 cable I don't know if that had anything to do with it

Generally, I would expect a heavier cable to be more likely to turn upwards, where a lighter cable will tend to bend and go down. But with a straight tee, either one could and often would turn up the vent.

Well I'm glad the job is over and the owner has his kitchen back I learned a lot from this . My company is pissed I stayed to help / learn from the other plumber . I couldn't be any happier

If you cleaned a few drains, you've gone up a few. It happens. If you release your grip on the cable it will want to walk out /back out on you because of the weight of cable going up. And if you listen close you can here it sometimes rattle in the wall.

Generally, I would expect a heavier cable to be more likely to turn upwards, where a lighter cable will tend to bend and go down. But with a straight tee, either one could and often would turn up the vent.
If the 5/8" cable was the open wind type used on a K60 or K50, then the 5/8" cable was probably more flexible than a solid 3/8" cable.

If the 5/8" cable was the open wind type used on a K60 or K50, then the 5/8" cable was probably more flexible than a solid 3/8" cable.
That certainly is true.

I have a K375 with 3/8" innercore cable that does a decent job on sinks and such. It really doesn't like traps much. I also have 5/8" open wind cable that I use with a K60, and I can get that around 2" PVC or cast traps in a flash.

Latest posts

Back