Smell in Garbage Disposal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akisie

Reaction score
There is a persistent foul smell that comes out of our garbage disposal, while it's running and while hot water is going down into it, that I can't seem to get rid of completely. I've done everything I can think of doing to get rid of the smell, including remedies that I have found on the internet, which haven't worked. I've, tried pouring boiling water and adding bleach to it while it's running. I've tried pouring vinegar and baking soda (recommended by our plumber). Gotten deodorizing beads. I even gotten a long brush sprayed with bleach and rooted the hose that connects the dishwasher to the garbage disposal, but nothing works or lasts more than a few days. Would removing the trap and soaking it in bleach do the job? I'd appreciate any feedback or ideas on how to get rid of the stench for more than a couple of days? Thank you for any advice. -Ella :confused:

I simply clean my disposal with ice cubes once a week, and about every two weeks, spray a bit of orange cleaner in the sink.

I simply clean my disposal with ice cubes once a week, and about every two weeks, spray a bit of orange cleaner in the sink.

How can ice cubes clean and take the smell away from a garbage disposer? That's kind of baffling. Sorry, I'm just curious. Thank you for your feedback.

When the disposal is turned on the ice is crushed the Ice fragments scrape the walls of the disposal cleaning any gunk off of it

When the disposal is turned on the ice is crushed the Ice fragments scrape the walls of the disposal cleaning any gunk off of it

Add a little comet or powdered cleaner with the ice . If you fill the disposal with ice. sometimes it will actually stop the motor from turning. Just flick it off, add a little water and start it up again. Also take a brush up and under the bottom side of the splash guard upper inside of the disposal as well.

Don't use harsh chemical in the disposal. they can cause premature failure of the seals. I don't recommend pouring boiling water down the disposal either. Same reason. I always turn on the cold water when I'm pouring boiling water into the disposal while draining a pot of pasta. That's just me.

I grind up orange or lemon peals on occasion and it freshens it up pretty good.

I feed mine a lemon once a week.
another thing you can check. your dishwasher drain hose. look to verify that it is looped up the bottom of the counter top.
then down to the disposal. if it is not looped. food will back up into it and rot:)

Thank you, all you people. Except for the ice cubes (that's next) I have done most all that you all have suggested here, including using a brush on the underside of the disposal. No kinks in the hose either and like I mentioned before, I take a long cylindrical brush, spray some bleach on it and root out the hose that connects and drains into the disposer. If it gets much worse, I'll just take the trap apart and clean that out. Thanx again.

not kinked, looped. you want the hose from the dishwasher to be tied to the bottom of the counter top,
then loops down to the garbage disposal.

3rd picture made me laugh, coffee came out my nose
that is a AW!! HECK NO!!!!

Dish_washer-drainloop_109142046_std.jpg

th1HAF6LPP.jpg

untitled.jpg

images (7).jpg

Last edited:
not kinked, looped. you want the hose from the dishwasher to be tied to the bottom of the counter top,
then loops down to the garbage disposal.

3rd picture made me laugh, coffee came out my nose
that is a AW!! HECK NO!!!!

Crimped, crinkled, kinked, looped, pinched or whatever. It's none of the above and it's to specification. Thanx.

Avoid Disposing Large Amount all at the Same Time
While disposing large pieces or food items into it, make sure to cut large pieces into smaller once and strictly avoid disposing large amount at the same time. Garbage disposal unit must be kept clean at all times and you can do it with a dish soap.

Garbage Disposal Unit and Cleaning
One of the most effective ways of cleaning your garbage disposal unit is use of ice. It is effective as well as an inexpensive method of cleaning the system regularly. If your garbage disposal system is creating unpleasant odor, then it would be advisable to use lemon juice to clean it.

i was puzzled at this smell. i have been hearing of it ofton.

so i started thinking, maybe its not the disposal, but the drain itself..

do you run water to flush the pipe after you run the disposal.?

i am thinking 2 things, food left in pipe that was not flushed away.

and/or the force of the dispoal being so forceful as to push the water out of the trap. leaving it dry

just a thought

any thoughts from other plumbers

Avoid Disposing Large Amount all at the Same Time
While disposing large pieces or food items into it, make sure to cut large pieces into smaller once and strictly avoid disposing large amount at the same time. Garbage disposal unit must be kept clean at all times and you can do it with a dish soap.

Garbage Disposal Unit and Cleaning
One of the most effective ways of cleaning your garbage disposal unit is use of ice. It is effective as well as an inexpensive method of cleaning the system regularly. If your garbage disposal system is creating unpleasant odor, then it would be advisable to use lemon juice to clean it.

This is already practiced. So, nothing new in posting this. Thanx.

i was puzzled at this smell. i have been hearing of it ofton.

so i started thinking, maybe its not the disposal, but the drain itself..

do you run water to flush the pipe after you run the disposal.? Always!
i am thinking 2 things, food left in pipe that was not flushed away.

and/or the force of the dispoal being so forceful as to push the water out of the trap. leaving it dry

just a thought any thoughts from other plumbers

Thanx for just a thought, but that is why in my op, I asked if I should remove the trap? And btw: I always run the water after the disposer grinds something up.

PAST EXPERIENCE(S) FROM DUMB & DUMBER DIY PLUMBING

I too once had this problem. The stench would gag a maggot. I tried ice, magical cleansers, lemons by the bag, snaking the DW drain lines. Nothing.

Then one weekend my daughter comes over to do her laundry. She stands at the kitchen sink and asks what has died? She then reaches over and picks up the waste grease can and pitches it... :confused:

Smart a$$ kid... :mad:

Latest posts

Back