Unable to temporarily block basement drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

softly

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a basement drain that I would like to temporarily block. The lowest part of the drain is 2 inches in diameter, the middle part (about 3 inches long) is 3 inches in diameter and the top part (about 3 inches long) is 4 inches in diameter.

I have tried using a "3 in. Gripper Plastic Mechanical Test Plug", but there is a spot on the side where water seems to flow around it. I tried wrapping the rubber part in duct tape to make it thicker, but that didn't help either.

I have tried a 3 inch Cherne test ball plug, but water finds its way around that too!

Does anyone have any idea why I can't seem to temporarily block this drain?

Wieny plug. It is an inflatable rubber plug that you put inside and fill with air. We use them for testing.

Wieny plug. It is an inflatable rubber plug that you put inside and fill with air. We use them for testing.

Unfortunately, I've already tried one of these. The inflated plug doesn't stop the water from seeping out.

What about a twist to tighten rubber stopper that has a longer handle that you can drop below the part where water is leaking by.

A bag of Quikcrete will do it. Disgruntled tenants often use that method.

OP's problem seems to be poor preparation; not wanting to do the work involved to make the plugs hold, rather than poor plugs.

cast iron pipe outer coating is tar. sometimes its thicker in one spot than the other. scrap it off.
or use the stuff i posted

I Think the OP is trying to plug it , Not cap it

I Think the OP is trying to plug it , Not cap it

ok, thank you mr D, coating on the inside. scrape it.

clean it, plug that bi........ to permanently cap off a drain, you can not use any type of plug or cap that is for testing.
a permanment plug/cap no rubber caps, hard cap/plug only

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back