Exterior Leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MWW552

Reaction score
Hello Fellow DIY Plumbers,
Dang it! I found a wet, soft area on my exterior next to but not against my house. It covers an area about 5' x 10' feet. I suspect a supply leak cuz my meter is slowly turning with all house fixtures off. Am I on the right track and How can I pinpoint the leak without digging out the whole area?
Thanks for your thoughts?
MWW

5' is not to big of an area. Pick a spot and follow the water flow.

Yep, was afraid of that. Dont need a shovel, just need to put mine into action. :)

Unless someone looks at them wrong, or the moon is in the wrong phase, or you don't throw salt over your left shoulder at exactly high noon and midnight on Mondays and Saturdays.

My biggest problem will be finding the leak. Any advice on pinpointing location before starting my dig? :confused:
Thanks for all your expert advise.
MWW552

Here in ca the transitions are within five feet or so if the house.

Draw a straight line from your meter to where the line goes in the house and find the wettest spot from there and you should be close.

No worries for sparing my feelings. I appreciate the advise and candid answers and so far, you're all spot on. I found the wettest spot and starting digging. a puddle formed that turned to a pooling of water. Have not found the leak yet but getting closer. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.
MWW552

You must live in a warm part of the country to be hand digging a water main that is made out of PVC. What the heck is wrong with me it was well below zero the other morning. Good luck with your project. LOL

So, I start digging (luckily I live in Central Texas, 70 degrees :) ) and find a buried ball valve with transition from 3/4" pvc to 3/4" copper with threaded pvc connection split and leaking. As a note, I have a leach line installed around my foundation to keep the soil moist. The leak was leaching into the line and traveling to my backyard, causing the wet soil well away from the leak. This threw me for a bit, but ya'll advised me to the right spot, so thanks for that. I installed another valve allowing for a 8" rise so I can box it and get it to it in the future. In short problem solved. I attached some pictures for you to critique my work. Feel free and thanks again.
MWW552

20141130_092209 (1).jpg

20141130_133533.jpg

Very nice work. So, from the looks of the picture, that line was only buried about 12" below grade?

Latest posts

Back