Recommendation for Whole House Water Purification

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teoteodore

Reaction score
Have any of you enough experience to recommend a whole house water purification and softener system? We are relatively low water use but would still want a cellar installation. I've looked at Aquasana, Culligan, Pelican, as well as Lowes and Home Depot. Most of the descriptions and reviews are really hidden advertisements and so don't give me an unbiased comparison. Money is no object (within reason) $1000-2000+ no problem.

You need to have a test run on your water to see how much of what it is that you are trying to remove. Stay away from the units sold at Lowes or Home Depot, I have not seen anyone have good luck with them.

Dito with above. I have my water checked by a few company before I trusted the results. Most company will test your water for free. Although I chose to even pay for a test. A person really needs to know a little about you before answering this. Any big name water company should work for you. Stay away from Kinetico softner they do what they say they do just way over priced. Are you on city water or a well. Also if you are handy you can shop online and put one in your self with hug savings. If you need some info in that direction let me know. I work as a plumber for ten years we really never got into the softner market. I just went through the same thing a year ago. I had to take out a big box store softner that was not doing the job I am on a well. I saved a lot online however working as a plumber installing was not a challenge. Good luck and if you need some more help with where to look online let me know and I can let you know who I felt with.

Thanks, guys. I will be installing the units myself ... I am very handy. I removed the old one (ca 1964) about 4 years ago and so have the hookups for a new one ready. We are on city water. We moved from NYC to NJ ... the NYC water is one of the best in the country. My wife insists the NJ water smells and tastes 'funny' ... and I myself know it's much harder than NYC. So regardless of test results, she will not drink the water without purification (and I would prefer softer water for other reasons). We use the refrigerator water and a PUR filter at the sink as is. So ... a purification and softening system is a must.

every time you move the water will taste "funny" due to a different municipality. put her off for 3 mths. till she gets used to the new taste
LOL :D

It's been 5 years!!!! She-who-must-be-obeyed cannot be put off.

When you say purification. Like was mentioned above, have the water tested so you know what you need to remove. Everyone has different ideas of what purification means. The only harmful things in your city water are the things the city adds to the water. Such as chlorine, ammonia (chlorimines) and fluoride. There is no filter that will remove all of them unless you go with a mixed bed. Softeners don't purify anything. They just soften water by removing calcium and magnesium. An undersink RO will remove most contaminants. But will lower the PH a bunch. Distillation will take everyting out but the water itself, but will have a low PH as well.

Find out what the city is adding to your water, then we can recommend things to take them out.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but I hope it helps. My mother has a Rainsoft reverse osmosis system professionally installed. Her water tastes better than anything I have had, tap or bought. They system is ridiculously easy to flush and change filters, that cost not much different than a refrigerator filter. It also looks like an easy system to install, especially for someone very comfortable with reading directions. There are also several YouTube videos to help with maintenance.

Latest posts

Back