Keeping water in pipes from freezing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafterman1833

Reaction score
My question concerns incoming water pipes and keeping them from freezing. I have one of these pipes that has frozen on a few occasions over the past 20 years. It is exposed for about 10 feet in the basement, then travels about 20 feet inside the wall to a second floor apartment. The wall that it travels inside of is an exterior wall. If I were to install some wrap-on style pipe heating cable to the 10 feet of exposed pipe in the basement, but not install it on the 20 feet of pipe that runs upstairs through the wall, do you think that would keep the water inside the entire pipe from freezing? Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

The water under the heat tape won't freeze because it's kept above 32°. Water on both ends of the tape will probably be warmed by convection for a few inches or feet (who knows?) but beyond that if it gets to 32°, it will freeze and it will likely break.

My question concerns incoming water pipes and keeping them from freezing. I have one of these pipes that has frozen on a few occasions over the past 20 years. It is exposed for about 10 feet in the basement, then travels about 20 feet inside the wall to a second floor apartment. The wall that it travels inside of is an exterior wall. If I were to install some wrap-on style pipe heating cable to the 10 feet of exposed pipe in the basement, but not install it on the 20 feet of pipe that runs upstairs through the wall, do you think that would keep the water inside the entire pipe from freezing? Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

20' of pipe? no, its gonna freeze.

is the wall sheetrock?
if so. 1 of 3 choises, opt 1 cut the wall, insulate pipe.insulate wall, patch sheetrock

opt 2 buy a bunch of the spray faom insulation, drill a 1/2" hole in wall about every foot. fil with spray expanding foam insulation

I figure 1 can for a 15" wide x 12" opening. so 8 cans should do a 8' wall

opt 3. rent a insulation blower, cut a hole at bottom of wall and hole at top
stick the hose in and blow till it comes out the top

Latest posts

Back