Washing Machine Drain / Condensate Water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasontnyc

Reaction score
Hello,
My condensate line from my furnace was run from the pump to outside which is good 90% of the time until there is a prolonged cold wave in which it freezes and backs up into a finished basement. I didn't have a drain in the furnace room so I ran the line to the laundry drain.

I had no problem doing so as you can see in the pictures but I am a bit concerned the fernco I used is incorrect for the job. It can be wiggled a bit at the connection point (not loose - just the rubber flexing slightly). My gut feeling is this should be as firm as possible to ensure it doesn't wear.

My questions:

Was I right to use a 1 1/4 (copper side) to 1 1/2 (PVC Side) fernco? It was a tight fight getting it on the copper. Should I be using a rmore robust shielded 1 1/2 to 1/ 12 Ferco and doing a decent amount of clamping down on the copper side?

Is a fernco the right connection point or have a missed a more obvious way to go copper to pvc in this situation?

Thanks
PS. The copper drain measures approx 1.5" internal.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

Latest posts

Back