Replacing old sink faucet and pipes need advice/help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATypicalSeven

Reaction score
I was thinking of replacing my sink faucet and pipes but I would love some help and advice before doing this ( To note I'm a beginner at doing stuff like this). My sink has 3 holes and I wanted to replace the faucet with this one http://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Fo...n-Chrome-21988LF/203426230?N=5yc1vZarg1Zbwo5o

the only problem is that I wanted to change the pipes within it as well as it's getting really old and corroding ( didn't change it since the house was brought about 12 years ago). Below I attached a picture of the pipes I wanted to change. Can someone help me determine what pipes I would need to buy and if possible what size? I really don't want to drive down to home depot 5 times in a day like I did last time when I was replacing my bathroom faucet and the help at home depot gave me the wrong connectors I needed.

Thank you in advance! If any more info is needed or a better picture please tell me and I'll get it up asap

20141120_113530.jpg

In my opinion, there are too many issues for a novice to handle. You should hire a licensed plumber. I would probably change out the disposal while redoing things. Yours looks pretty rough and they aren't that expensive. Often times the basket strainer will leak once you start messing with things due to the old putty being hard and it cracks when you accidentally twist it trying to remove corroded stuff. Plan on replacing that too. Whatever you do, don't use one of those accordion pipes. Your dishwasher drain line needs to be run in a high loop, not flopping about.

It also looks like you have old gate type shut offs. I would replace those or rebuild them if they do not operate properly. It looks like the one you can see in the pic is leaking around the packing nut and stem. Just tighten that nut a little until it stops, should not take much.

In my opinion, there are too many issues for a novice to handle. You should hire a licensed plumber. I would probably change out the disposal while redoing things. Yours looks pretty rough and they aren't that expensive. Often times the basket strainer will leak once you start messing with things due to the old putty being hard and it cracks when you accidentally twist it trying to remove corroded stuff. Plan on replacing that too. Whatever you do, don't use one of those accordion pipes. Your dishwasher drain line needs to be run in a high loop, not flopping about.

It also looks like you have old gate type shut offs. I would replace those or rebuild them if they do not operate properly. It looks like the one you can see in the pic is leaking around the packing nut and stem. Just tighten that nut a little until it stops, should not take much.

I'm not going to lie there was a lot of issue I had to deal with when dealing with the sink pipes. Although I would love to change the garbage disposer (about $100) I'm saving up to change the Stock Washer and Dryer that came with the house. I would also like to add since the previous owner didn't add a outlet on the wall it would be difficult for me to install a new garbage disposer while at the same time I have to install a wall outlet to accommodate the newer models. The Basket strainer seems fine to me so I just left it as it is. Also there was no valve shut off for the sink ( the one you see in the old pic was a shut off valve for the dishwasher) so I had to shut off the main water which was annoying but I was able to install them after finding a 3/8 flare adapter. Although I didn't want to use a Slip Joint Tailpiece accordion style; I couldn't find another way to attach the P trap/ exit pipe.

grab a 1 1/2 street 22 pvc fitting, and a 1 1/2 trap adapter also

new basket strainer with tail peice

you will need , plumbers puddy, pvc glue, hack saw

Although the hack saw was a pretty cheap route to go down on (about $4.50) it was a pain cutting through brass.

What is happening with that cold water supply line. It looks long enough to run over to the neighbors house.

Yeah I don't really know what was the past owner was thinking when he was living in the house before he sold it to us.

Any how Thanks everyone for all the help. I just want to state though I've been living in this house since my family brought it about 12 years ago. I wanted my parents to concentrate on saving up and paying off the house then worry about these stuff so that's why I would pay for these things out of my own pocket. ( I'm 20 going to 21 Thankfully with a job :D) Any who in total with a new faucet with pipes & shut off valves it cost me a total of $164.73 with about $20 of gas going back and forth to home depot :D Below I posted a pic of my new pipe with no leaks after testing 4 times and new faucet with sprayer attachment ( After drilling a new hole.)

New Pipes.jpg

New Faucet.jpg

Last edited:
you have some fixing to do

the continuous waste pipe from disposal, is to long. see how it makes the chrome tail peice crooked
cut a little off of it.

your p-trap is installed backwards. turn it around, and you probably wont need that according looking extenction

also, look at the drain hose from the dishwasher. it needs to loop up to the bottom of the counter top
tie it off to a sink clamp. then let it loop back down to the disposal

to figure out how much to cut off of the continuous waste
take it off. straighten your pipes up. then measure what the length needs to be. you look a 1/4" long
cut, start the screws into the disposal first, turn ther waste tee twards you and push the waste arm in and turn tee at same time. easy stuff

Damnit!! apprientice!!! get your butt back under that sink and fix that S((((( :)

New Pipessinkkkkkkkkkk.jpg

Last edited:
you have some fixing to do

the continuous waste pipe from disposal, is to long. see how it makes the chrome tail peice crooked
cut a little off of it.

your p-trap is installed backwards. turn it around, and you probably wont need that according looking extenction

also, look at the drain hose from the dishwasher. it needs to loop up to the bottom of the counter top
tie it off to a sink clamp. then let it loop back down to the disposal

to figure out how much to cut off of the continuous waste
take it off. straighten your pipes up. then measure what the length needs to be. you look a 1/4" long
cut, start the screws into the disposal first, turn ther waste tee twards you and push the waste arm in and turn tee at same time. easy stuff

Damnit!! apprientice!!! get your butt back under that sink and fix that S((((( :)

Wow Thanks Big time! I did not realized that I had the trap back ward and as well as did not need the according extender.

The dishwasher drain hose needs to be secured to the underside of the countertop so that if the sink drain backs up, the drainage water will not contaminate your dishwasher.

Thanks for the tip, I'll get to it Asap

when you installed faucet and sprayer, did you put plumbers puddy under that faucet body?

you do know that if water gets on the sink, it will drip down to below if no puddy is there sprayer also ;)

Yep! I added a bead of plumbers putty to both the faucet and the spray attachment all around and thank god ya told me about it as the instruction and the adviser at Home depot told me to use silicon glue. Plumbers putty is was easier to clean off.

Back