home well and pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldberh71

Reaction score
About 15 years ago my home was converted from a well to city water. The well and pump are in the corner of my basement and since the conversion have been completely cut off but still under pressure. My father lived in the home at the time. I have no idea why it wasn't removed at the time. Is there any good reason why I should keep this? If so, with it having never been used for such a long time what is likely condition if the pipe supplying the water? Could the inside be so corroded that it would render the well useless?

I'd like to remove it completely if there is no good reason to keep it. I was think of releasing the pressure then cutting the well pipe below the concrete floor and then patching the concrete.

I'd interested to hear some qualified opinions.

I'm attaching 2 pictures

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

I just saw this or I would have gotten back quicker. I would like a picture of the actual well or a pic of where the pipe enters the concrete floor with lots of light so I can see what I'm looking at.

The best reason for keeping the well and equipment is for irrigation if it will produce water and if the city water goes out, you will have a back up. Personally; I would much rather have well water than city water. I don't like drinking or bathing in all the chemicals they put in city water these days. Here and I'm sure lots of other places they have chlorine, fluoride and ammonia.

Thanks for the reply.

I installed an irrigation system about 3 years ago. I asked the contractor about using that well to supply the water and he talked me out of using it. Since he couldn't guarantee me I'd get enough water. He was worried about inside pipe/well corrosion. So everything I have runs off city water. This pipe/well comes out of the ground to the pump and tank then the pipe is capped. At the time it didn't make sense to me to pay him to screw around with unless I knew it was usable.

IMG_0358.jpg

Here this picture will complete the extent of this. The last picture shows the pipe coming out of the tank that would supply the water but is now capped.

IMG_0359.jpg

If the guy knew how to test the well pump, he could have told you if it produced enough water or not. He was just comfortable putting the same system for everybody since all city water puts out the same amount of water in a given area. Around 13 gpm in most cases.

That looks like a hand driven 1-1/4" well and probably has a plugged well screen. That may be why it was switched out to city water instead of repairing the well.

The only way you will know is to take the cap off and fire up the pump to see what it can do.

My father switched over when city water was first offered because they were giving large discounts to get hooked up when they ran the lines. For those who didn't take the original offer it was going to cost them 4 to 5 times as much for them to come back later. When that well and pump ran last there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. My dad did it all for installation cost savings. I think I remember that eventually everyone was going to be forced to town water. Although long island groundwater is good NY makes some very stupid laws. So with everything all hooked and never had an issue with anything for the 11 years I've been in the house. I can't think of why I'd go back I just don't want to rip it out and be sorry later is all.

Personally, I don't like to be dependent on the Govt for anything, especially water. They can add anything they want to at any time and you can't do a thing about it. With your own well, at least you know what you have; and you have control over it.

I would give it a try, if it still produces water, you can always use it when you need to.

Having your own well is personal freedom. Never give up your freedom. The govment shuts off people’s water for not paying the bill. But soon they could shut your water off for not turning in your guns or not voting for a Democrat.

Back