A simple queston that I HOPE will have a simple answer

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

umperjay

Reaction score
I want to replace all the present hardware on my Tub/Shower combination, but I need an answer to this question: Can the Tub Drain Assembly be replaced on the built in tub without removing the tub? For me this is not a DIY project and I will have a plumber do the change over, unless the tub has to be removed. This for me, would be one of those "not worth it changes" :) Thanks.

If its on a slab it can be hard to do but sometimes you can open the wall and change the waste and overflow assembly. If you have access below it's a little easier. Depends on the plumber and the condition of the pipe

Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that the tub/shower is upstairs and that the plumbing is probably between the floor joists. If this is true would you then think that putting an opening in the ceiling below the tub would give enough access to the drain so that the connection to the tub could be removed? However, I would think that in order to get to the lever on the tub that activates the opening and closing of the drain stopper the adjacent wall would also have to be opened. I could live with those procedures, but don't wish to remove the tub from its enclosure. :) If you think that this is feasible I will be calling a plumber to get this started.

Latest posts

Back