Removing Allen screw from Delta shower valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodder98

DIY guy
Reaction score
The shower valve drips, so I decided to take the valve apart and replace the cartridge. BUT, the Allen screw in the handle turned back about 3/4 of a turn and then froze. I then really beared down on the Allen wrench to loosen the screw.
I think that now, the screw sides are somewhat stripped because the wrench popped to the next side instead of turning the screw.

What would you do to get the Allen screw loose that holds the handle on?

Or, do I need to get a saw and cut the valve off, keeping the main body that is in the wall, attached to CPVC, and get a new valve?

You have to drill the screw out or cut off the handle. If you cut off the handle you will probably have to replace the cartridge too. Contact Delta for further info and potentially free replacement parts. Many times I replace the handle with my favorite the Delta H78 metal blade handle. It looks a little industrial but I love it for durability and future easy repairs. The Deltal H71 clear acrylic handle will also work but acrylic usually does not look good after awhile. Both handles will fit Delta tub/shower faucets which do not have separate temp and volume controls and they do not have a set screw to get stuck.

H78:
21YZJA9Hc2L.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I put some CLR down in the hole to eat up any scale. (I should have done this before.) Then, try again. If that doesn't work, I will take your advice.

Before throwing in the towel, try giving it a shot of PB Blaster, and letting it sit overnight.

PB Blaster.jpg

PB Blaster will stink up the place but it works really good.

Drill out.

I think that now, the screw sides are somewhat stripped because the wrench popped to the next side instead of turning the screw.
What would you do to get the Allen screw loose that holds the handle on.

+1 on the PB Blaster and let it soak for a day or so. In the past I've had some luck getting a stripped allen out by tapping in a torx bit of an appropriate size then turning that using a 1/4" drive ratchet while pushing down hard.

Latest posts

Back