Advise needed for water softener/filter installation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbk

Reaction score
Hi,

We just moved in to a new house in zip code area 77433 (MUD #165). We are considering to install either a water softener or water filter or both.

Water softener option we're thinking:
  1. water softener from Home Depot or Lowe's
  2. Fleck water softener from online vendors.

Here are some picture of the plumbing in my house.

I am aware that the water softener/filter has to be before the water heater. This means the water softener/water filter will have to be either in the garage or the laundry room. However, if you look at the PEX manabloc configuration, it includes connection to the outside faucet ("House BIBB Front/Rear/Side").

Hence, my question is:
  1. Is there an easy way to install the water softener/water filter and be able to bypass the outdoor faucet (so that outdor faucet water is not soft/filtered)?
  2. The water softener is best to be installed in laundry room or the garage?
  3. Is there any estimate of how much installation will cost for this project?

Appreciate your advise on these questions. Thanks.

If your planning on buying the unit from big box and having someone install it, your probably not going to be happy with the results. Most of us won't install stuff bought somewhere else. Too many issues with who's fault it is when it doesn't work or work as planned.

If I don't sell it, I don't install it.. period. If you plan on saving money by doing that, it won't work. The man that installs it will make the same profit whether he sells it or you buy it.

As for the outside faucets, the installer would have to do a site survey to figure that out. Not all installs are the same.

Back