Removing solvent weld

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coxy

Reaction score
I'm installing a new en suite and need to put in the waste for the new shower. Unfortunately it has a solvent welded elbow into the soil stack and I need to put the pipe straight in to give me the correct fall I need.
Any ideas on a solution please? How easy is it to remove the welded elbow? Are there any other ways around it?
Help please.

It is not designed to be broken apart. Cut out the joints/fittings you wish to remove and re-pipe it properly.

Reactions: SHR
You can use a ram bit to drill out the pipe that is glued into a fitting.
cut the pipe off flush to the fitting.

Practice with another fitting to see how it works

BE CAREFUL you don't run the bit to far into the fitting

rambit-plastic-fitting-saver-tool.html

imagesJHEOFHOE.jpg

images8NLF4KT6.jpg

imagesE48UITIN.jpg

Last edited:
My 1 1/2" RamBit doesn't do full size anymore.

I have bent the ears out a little bit, and it is better, but I am really thinking about looking around to find one of those Wheeler Rex Pipe Hog sets. Looks like a much better tool.

OK, time to give you experts a laugh. I've had a RamBit in my roll away tool box for years, but until I saw the video posted above, just believed it was a poor excuse for a gallon paint mixer! :eek:

Are there any other ways around it?
Help please.

Well at least someone benefited from my laborious efforts.

Now I won't have a sleepless night wondering if the 1 hit thread originator benefited from this.:rolleyes:

Hi all.
Thanks for the replies. The ram bit looks good except I couldn't find one in the uk. Is it just from USA?
I ended up cutting the elbow and putting on a flexi connector and then connecting the 40mm pipe to the other end. I have water tested it and it seems fine so thank you all for your help.
If anyone knows where I can get a ram bit in the uk please let me know as it looks like a great piece of kit.

Oh, the burning glue fumes I have huffed over the years, LOL!

Word of warning to anyone who might try this at home, burning solvent cement and plastic pipe releases some really nasty and poisonous fumes.

The guy in the video chose the easiest pipe to peel, thin wall irrigation PVC, that probably wasn't installed using a primer. It usually doesn't go that quickly and simply, believe me, I have done it a bunch.

Oh, the burning glue fumes I have huffed over the years, LOL!

Word of warning to anyone who might try this at home, burning solvent cement and plastic pipe releases some really nasty and poisonous fumes.

The guy in the video chose the easiest pipe to peel, thin wall irrigation PVC, that probably wasn't installed using a primer. It usually doesn't go that quickly and simply, believe me, I have done it a bunch.

phishfood is correct, pvc fumes will make you very ill

i have found the easiest way, is to cut a wedge out of the
pipe in the fitting, then peal/chisel out the rest of it

in my opinion, when you are pulling this little trick
you have a 50/50 chance of pulling it off with out experience. with experience 98%

Latest posts

Back