Basement bathroom

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn717

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I know very little about plumbing and am hoping everyone can provide me some answers. I will try to be clear explaining this.

We purchased a home last year (our first) and it had a basement bathroom that we thought was pre-plumbed. It is basically a concrete floor with 3 drain holes (pvc pipe sticking out of the concrete a couple inches or more)

My husband is very handy and we have done alot of DIY stuff, and we were going to attempt to install all the fixtures, water lines, drywall etc but I was concerned that we needed a sewage ejector pump. after having a contractor and a plumber here, we were left we very little direction or answers. No point getting into the contractor or plumber because one was fresh out of school and had no idea and the other, just said we didn't need a pump and to start installing. We did run a hose through the pipe and it didn't back up, and we thought maybe he heard it coming out to the septic tank.

I found our septic plans and on the layout the notes say if we wish to install a basement bathroom or laundry we need a sewage ejector pump SJ-4. Our basement does sit below ground level and our septic tank is higher than the basement.

So I know we need one but I have some concerns or questions.

1. Above ground self contained unit (if even possible) or break the concrete and install in the ground?

2. Being that the pipes are already in the concrete, I am assuming that we or the contractor etc would have to break concrete to connect the pipes to the ejector pump unit? I have no idea, so please don't beat me up too bad because I asked that question.

3. We need to do this step by step and piece it out because I am assuming the cost would be high. Ideally, I would like to have someone install, hook up the pipes to the ejector unit and then we could move forward with doing the rest ourselves ( floor, fixtures etc) Any cost estimates on this so I have some idea. We don't want to get overcharged.

Any help, advice, direction is greatly appreciated. we want to have an understanding of the process so we can hire the right person and pay a fair price. I don't think we can do this ourselves.

I have attached some photos of the area. We are aware that the wall near where the toilet is going to sit has to be moved out. we measured that and its not far enough out to fit a standard toilet. (we didn't put the wall up, it was there when we bought the home) The entire placement of the pipes we didn't understand the use of the space, but it is what we have to deal with. a toilet, shower and sink.

Thank you for your help.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

With the pipes open (not capped) and connected to the septic system you would have sewer smells coming out the pipes. Have a plumbing contractor with a camera and locator come out to verifiy what/where the piping is going and what it's connected to.

Latest posts

Back