Random Sewage smell from floor drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dilbert888

Reaction score
Hello Experts

I recently moved into a older a house built in the 1930's and I've been noticing a foul sewage smell coming from the basement floor drain. The strange thing is that the smell isn't there all the time, it comes randomly at least once a day.

I checked the pea trap and I can see is full of water. When I flush the drain and pour bleach down the drain the smell goes away, but after a while it comes back.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks!

Post a couple of pics of the drain. Floor drains come in different styles. You might have one that has a clean-out in the floor drain and the clean-out plug may be missing which will allow sewer gases to backout the drain.

Thanks for your reply IFIXH20.
It turns out the main drain from the house was cracked.
It was a old clay pipe and the roots of a cedar tree in the front yard grew into pipe and cracked it open.

The plumbing crew had to dig down the pipe and replace the cracked portion :eek:

I think it can be any drain, not just a floor drain. So if you have a sink you don't use much, the water could be drying up during the time you don't use it, then you use it and the smell goes away or maybe cleaning Plug is not working properly. Check and replace it.

There is a possibility of venting problem, or If you have a septic system, it may be time to have it pumped.

Latest posts

Back