Tub to shower conversion = FAIL

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHBSQ87

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm new here, both to the forum and plumbing in general. I have a bit of a problem... I recently moved into an old, old, house. In the bathroom, there is a clawfoot style tub that I decided to covert into a shower with a conversion kit I bought at Home Depot. Problem is, I'm having trouble with the external hot and cold water connections, that are just outside the faucet. The old nuts that are on the connections are not compatible with my new faucet, leading to much frustration. After many failed attempts to tighten the nuts and having water leak all over, I decided to call a professional. After about 5 minutes of tinkering, he told me that there was nothing he could do, because the nuts were not compatible, or just too old and poor of quality. So I guess my question is - just how can fix this? Apparently, I need new connections entirely, and I have no idea what to do past just sawing the current pipes off. Please help!!

0919141137b.jpg

Faucets that fit those fittings are readily available at most plumbing supply stores. Otherwise, the pipe to the faucet can be easily changed to the correct thread for your HD faucet.

Your "plumber" evidently got their license through mail order or they should do a few more years with a real plumber as an apprentice.

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, the plumber that came over to look at my situation was very dismissive, and just seemed like he didn't want to deal with it. So you are telling me that replacing the ends of those connections is entirely possible for someone a bit more enthused? Heck, the one on the right side looks as if even I could replace it... but the left?

I think I should make it clear that I have zero experience with these kind of things. How would one go about replacing those, if I did not have the option of hiring a professional? I can't ever seem to find a good online guide.... which is why I'm here.... lol

NHBSQ87, Sorry you had a dismissive plumber. I've had to deal with that quite a bit around in my area (not just plumbers though). I hope the guy didn't charge you to look at it and tell you it couldn't be done.

I hope that someone here can guide you through the process. I wish I knew enough to help, but maybe a link to the products online might help (I would link if I knew what the appropriate parts were). Be wary of any advice you get in big box stores though-- sometimes they can be totally wrong.

Good luck!

Thanks Zanne,

Yeah the guy literally said: "There's nothing I can do for you, and I'm out of here." No way to earn some $, or a new customer at that. I'll learn how to do this my damn self. If I can. lol. The one on the right looks as if I could twist it off and replace with the appropriate part.... the left, I dunno. Do I just hack the pipe off just below that existing elbow and start anew?

Latest posts

Back