Help with cartridge removal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stang233

Reaction score
My faucet started leaking out of the knob itself. I removed the knob and the outer nut as you can see in picture two. I am unclear on what to do next. I cannot get the stem part out which I believe is connected to the cartridge. Please advice me what to do next. This setup seems like nothing I have seen online or youtube.

Looks like an American standard RENUE.

the seat is a barrel that should pull out with the stem.
you should be able turn the stem until it comes out if so put it back in and pull the seat out with it.

stem & seat.jpg

AS RENUE stem.jpg

So I should act as though I am just turning the water on and continue to unthread until the whole stem comes out? Or is it reverse thread and I will turn the stem as though I am turning the water off.

I have these faucets in both bathrooms and on the drain the brand is Price Pfister. Is American Standard the same.

No! Not the same. Price Pfister is on the trip lever cover of the drain and has no relation ship to the Valve .

I removed the stem tonight and went to Home Depot and Lowes. Neither of them had that stem to sell. The guys there thought that it was a Price Pfister by the splines on the stem. I guess they are H splines. Does anyone know if that is the case?

After I removed the stem i do see the seat in there but it would not budge with a seat wrench. I tried PB blast for the night. When i put the seat wrench in it just kinda carved the brass out. It does not appear to be the barrel as we were thinking. Is there anyway to tell for sure. I will post the best picture I can.

Does anyone know if I can by just that packing nut. Maybe just replace the washer and put a nut on and call it good for now?

Last edited:
HMM . you still working on this? been a few days.

Do you see the barrel seat in my picture. Your picture is blurred does yours look like it has the same barrel. it has 2 side hole near the end. can you see these hole inside your valve. made the bent end of a screw driver to use the side hole to twist the barrel.

Latest posts

Back