New Toilet Into Existing Stack Downstairs

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batman_5050

Reaction score
Good morning all. I am taking on a project and need some help. I'm closing off a porch upstairs to add an additional bathroom. My question is in regards to the stack. I have a rough bathroom in the basement with a toilet, shower, and sink. Can I:

A. Do away with the existing toilet in the basement and plumb the new toilet into that soil stack, with an additional vent of course. It's approximately 8'-10' horizontal and 8'-10' vertical. If so, how would I attach the 3" PVC to an existing closet flange; or do I bust the concrete and take it completely out?

B. Bust even more concrete in the basement and install a wye; relocating the existing toilet. I can't go far due to the vent being just to the right of the toilet and wall not too far to the left.

Also, can I run the new shower and sink into that same existing stack?

I appreciate your help folks, this is going to be a BIG project for me.

how would I attach the 3" PVC to an existing closet flange; or do I bust the concrete and take it completely out?

No ,you cannot attach to flange. If you are eliminating the lower toilet you maybe able to use the toilet's vent for a stack if it is 3" or larger

Also, can I run the new shower and sink into that same existing stack?

Yes, you can use the same stack for the toilet ,sink and shower if all is vented properly.

Browse through some of my older post. you may find some helpul.
I often use google images to find helpul images.
But be careful there are a lot of images of incorrect ways to do it.

do your research before you commit.
What is the existing system?
Cast Iron w/ hub and spigot joints (lead) or No-hub joints (would be much easier if No-hub)

Last edited:
My house is a bit of a mutt, some old cast iron and some newer PVC upgrades. I've been here about 8 years. I'm not sure what the pipe is that the toilet in the basement is sitting on. So I can't just do away with that toilet and use that pipe? The vent next to it is just 2". I appreciate your help.

I think I may have found a solution without tearing into the concrete in the basement. If I change the 2" line for the kitchen sink to a 3" line, I think it should be okay as this line is feeding into a 4" main stack. Would this work?

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back