Black Pipe Water Service

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bertino8

Reaction score
Hi, I had the copper stolen from a rental and I am in the process of replacing everything. I am left with a stub of 3/4" black plastic pipe with blue writing (water service) coming into the block foundation (see attached photo). I have a house in the same neighborhood that has the same black plastic pipe water service (see attached photo).

My questions - 1) What is this pipe? Is is HDPE, Polybutylene... I can't nail it down. I went to Home depot and got a stick of "poly" but the OD doesn't seem to match what is in the wall currently. The house was built in the 80's and is located in central Ohio. 2) I would like to do the same set up as shown on the intact photo. What fitting is used to convert the black plastic to copper as shown?

Thanks for your lending me your expertise! - Tony

rental.jpg

intact.jpg

It is basic polyethylene pipe rated for potable water. All big box stores carry it with their sprinkler pipe. Make sure the writing on the pipe you purchase states it is "NSF".

Wouldn't hurt to much to open up that patch in the wall around the pipe.
May have been repaired before.

what type of black plastic main water line is this? wanted to add a pressure regulator and it looks like i have to saw off the black pipe to fit both shut off valve and pressure regulator. need to know the type of plastic to add a transition fitting that glues to the black pipe to become a brass male fitting. could not see any writting on the pipe, pops says u need the burn the plastic to tell what type of pipe it is.

Attachments

• IMG_20181231_130717.jpg
    IMG_20181231_130717.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20190107_145257.jpg
    IMG_20190107_145257.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 18
Back