Water heaters

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExtraMilePlumbing

Reaction score
Do water heaters t&p valve have to be drained outside the garage ?when installed in a garage.or just to the floor. thanks

Nothing in my code says it has to be drained anywhere. A pipe just has to be 6" from the ground and not discharge in a way that someone could be scalded when entering where it's sitting.

Unless it's oil fired, a floor drain must be in the same room.

A little advice that will help you in the long run, Extra. Get a code book that applies to your area. Have a highlighter handy on a string and attach it to the code book. Put the code book in a magazine stand next to the toilet with highlighter attached so that you can read, read and read some more. Highlight key sentences or sections as you go through the book and if you have a question fold the corner of the page down to mark the location until you get a proper interpretation. The "notes" section in the back of most code books is also a good tool if used. I haven't checked your previous posts to see if you are enrolled in school or licensed, but if you are going to use this forum as a resource for learning it would be more advantageous to your cause to take notes. I still do it myself. My code book looks like its been through a few wars and I always keep it close.

Here you have to run it to the outside or a drain.

Soft copper or any kind of flexible tubing is a no no as well.

Latest posts

Back