I'm fed up trying to get my p-trap and riser plumb. Please help me!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amateurplumber

Reaction score
So, I am remodeling my shower (using the kerdi kit) and I'm having the hardest time ever (ever) getting this p-trap/riser plumb. I feel like an idiot. I had to rebuild the p-trap for whatever reason, and to my dismay, the damn thing didn't come out straight. Here's an album of images that shows whats going on.

The third image (which is after I'd removed everything out of pure rage) shows my main problem: the pipe comes out of the joist at an angle, which I'm assuming is for drainage purposes, but since it comes out like this, even with the built in slope in the PVC, the riser doesn't come out straight. It looks like it's straight, as you can see in picture 1, but it's not really straight, as you can see in picture 2. I need it to be straight enough that it rests on the foam inserts, since i'm using a kerdi foam try. I strapped it down and everything.

What can I do to remedy this? I just dont see any way. I'm hoping I'll have enough room to add a coupling in before the p-trap, because if not, I'll have to start before the pipe comes in through the joist.

Please help me! I'm gonna post this everywhere I can think of, haha. I'm going to give it one last shot. Thanks!

Last edited:
Yikes. That looks problematic.

So, you think the issue is that it comes through the joist at an angle? Is the hole at the wrong height or is the hole itself angled?

I'm really not sure on this one..

Anyone have suggestions?

Try using a s 1/16 bend fitting instead of the coupling.
The p-trap does not have to be inline with the pipe.
roll the 1/16 th fitting to get it level.
Or you can trim the hole in the flr joist and push the pipe down a little

drain.jpg

Last edited:
Try using a s 1/16 bend fitting instead of the coupling.
The p-trap does not have to be inline with the pipe.
roll the 1/16 th fitting to get it level.
Or you can trim the hole in the flr joist and push the pipe down a little

This fitting bends down slightly?

It looks like the hole in the joist is to low and the trap is resting on top of the drywall.

I had actually put a block under it to test to see if that would raise it up a bit and limit vertical movement since i originally trimmed it too short. If i can get it level this time, that wouldnt be an issue.

As long as there's less than 135 degrees of change before you reach your vent, that will work.

However, a plumber on site would of had that corrected in ten minutes.

Yeah!! good job. That will be just fine. :D

uYjgAiK.jpg

WCH8LF2.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back