mysterious 4" sewer pipe sticking out of concrete

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riley9999

Reaction score
I have some new construction in arkansas close to jasper. I had cement poured over plastic in a crawl space to reduce mold and mildew and my sewer pvc is protruding about 3/8 " on a 45 degree angle. I bought a pvc insert from plastic oddities but when i place it in the sewer line there is some play. Should i try to go over what i have and cement the crap out of it or maby use epoxy? I can not find a fitting that will go into the 4" sewer line without a hub? Thanks

A photo or 2 may help.

PVC insert from plastic oddities ???

Don't understand the question " I can not find a fitting that will go into the 4" sewer line without a hub?

sorry for the confusion, i am in louisiana now with the house in arkansas. i recieved a fitting from a website that sold me a fitting that snugly fits into sch 40 dwv. when i put it in my sewer pipe extending out of the concrete it is loose. i don't have a bell in the sewer line so i have to go inside 4" sewer line to go to 3 or 4" sch 40 dwv. is there a time tested method? also, the sewer pipe is at a 45 angle and the bottom lip extends about 3/8 inch out of the concrete...this is why i want to go through the pipe inside.

Me, if there is 3/8" of pipe already out of the concrete, I am getting a small chipping hammer or a 2 lb mini sledge and cold chisel. It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to chip out that 1 3/8" of concrete around the bottom of the pipe.

I don't think there are to many options for a proper connection other than chipping away concrete.

my concern is cracking the pvc sewer line...if i strike towards the line...or maby a verticle hit with the chisel in an arc away from the line? Thanks phishfood and chris

Keep the chisel pointed either parallel with the pipe or slightly pointed away. Keep the hole that you are creating clear of the chips of concrete so that they can't get jammed up against the pipe wall. Use the corner of the chisel with very soft hammer strikes to remove any concrete right next to the pipe. I would start about 2 or 3 inches wide at the surface of the concrete.

Thanks phishfood for the particulars! I will get some good goggles and some different sizes of chisels and have some fun!

you can use a mason drill bit and drill some holes about and inch away from the pipe. This will make chipping it out a little easier

Latest posts

Back