help with stack question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpokerwinski

Reaction score
hi folks . hope someone can give me some direction. i am moving a bathroom upstairs to another part of the house. near the area i want to locate it ton is an existing soil stack. 3.5" i believe cast iron. i want to tap into this stack and close off the old one. any ideas how i can do this and what i may need ?
Thanks
jim

Generally, there would not be a random stack installed "just for future use" in a house. If there is a stack there, it has a purpose, and unless there are other fixtures already draining into that stack on the upper floor, it's most likely purpose is a vent.

Oh the stack I want to tap into DOES have a toilet, shower and a sink drain into it. So what I want to do id ADD another bathroom to this stack. A toilet, shower and sink. But I am not sure the best way to tap into it . It is cast iron. And I measured 11" circumference which gives me a 3.5" stack. (I thought all were 4"?)

That is a 3" stack, which under most codes will be capable of handling another bathroom. Not knowing the venting scheme for the existing bathroom that is already draining into this stack, you will want to tie in beneath the existing bathroom. The pipe can be cut with a snap cutter, or if you can access all sides of it, with an angle grinder. I would be wary of the angle grinder option, because it creates a lot of sparks, an definite fire hazard in any home, even more so in an older home with really dry wood. You might be able to rent a snap cutter somewhere. Whatever method you use to cut it, you must make certain to support the piping above the cut really well. The piping is very heavy, and WILL come crashing down.

This is not a simple project, so if you are thinking about DIY, make sure that your skill level is up to it. You will also definitely want to pull a permit and get it inspected, just so that a trained pair of eyes will make sure that you have everything installed correctly.

well i think the process is not that difficult . i just needed to understand the best way to tap into the stack. the plumbers here, at least the ones i came in contact with either dont show up to look at it or if they do they are outragiously priced. much more than i think the job is worth.
there is one more plumber i will try and see what he says. if he blows smoke up my butt i will do it myself with the suggestions put forth here.

well i think the process is not that difficult . i just needed to understand the best way to tap into the stack. the plumbers here, at least the ones i came in contact with either dont show up to look at it or if they do they are outragiously priced. much more than i think the job is worth.
there is one more plumber i will try and see what he says. if he blows smoke up my butt i will do it myself with the suggestions put forth here.
When you have spent the better part of your life learning a trade, have went through untold amounts of red tape to get the licensing agency to recognize your ability to contract in that trade, have invested many tens, usually hundreds, and sometimes even millions of dollars in tools, trucks, and real estate, you might find the idea that someone who hasn't done all of that and doesn't have a solid grasp of the project at hand knows what said project is worth, slightly disturbing.

Well my friend I agree with you. My point was that I don't have a lot of confidence in some of the people around here. I am an electrical engineer and spent 10x that in education. I didn't mean to offend you and should have worded it differently. It was arrogant of me. I apologize. I do most everything myself as most projects are not difficult if prepared and take your time. Sure I can save lots of time by hiring someone that does it for a living, but I also save a TON of money.
With that said I again apologize . And I valued your input and the time you took to respond .

Jim

Well I have called 5 plumbers. Only 1 showed up when they said they would and he told me the job is too small for him. WTF. This is the reputation, at least around here, most plumbers have. So it looks like I have no choice but to go it alone. :(

I have the impression that it snows there, which is a deal breaker. :)

Im not sure how man kind even survived Florida in the summer without AC. People must of been passed out from heat stroke in the middle of the streets.

Bring on a good ol' Canadian winter!

Other then that i add nothing to this topic

Phish.. I'm in VIRGINIa so it looks like I am going it alive. I tried but
Jesus. My wife's ex was a plumber and he lost his business because people stopped calling him. He wouldn't show up or start a job and take for ever. So they gagged him and did it themselves, many did anyway...... So that goes back to my question. Of needing guidance on tapping into the stack. It's obvious out a 3 in stack. I was going to rent a cutter and cut a section out and put a rubber tee in place. Then put a length of 3" PVC and cap it until I am ready . Your thoughts? Any help would be appreciated.

I would definitely stay away from the rubber tee. It will provide no support to the piping above, will allow sideways movement, and the first time someone sends a snake through it, you will have an unwelcome irrigation system in your house. A PVC tee with short sections of pipe and transition bands, or a cast tee with a single transition band to PVC on the branch.

Oh the stack I want to tap into DOES have a toilet, shower and a sink drain into it. So what I want to do id ADD another bathroom to this stack. A toilet, shower and sink. But I am not sure the best way to tap into it . It is cast iron. And I measured 11" circumference which gives me a 3.5" stack. (I thought all were 4"?)

here's link to cutting the cast ironhttp://www.plumbingforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2106

might be easier and less to cut out and install a NO-HUB cast iron wye fitting.
Then change to PVC on the branch.

Be careful the stack doesn't drop when you cut out a section. A riser clamp on the upper section with a support wedged under riser clamp is one way to support it.

Ok Phish.. I will try to attach pics and a diagram of what I am trying to do. If you pm me give me your email address and I can send them PDF?
Ok terms question.. What are transition Bands? And what purpose do they serve? I am think a cast iron tee then go with PVC from there. Who are the typical suppliers of these? Home Depot have them ?
Thanks for your input guys.

Latest posts

Back