License help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExtraMilePlumbing

Reaction score
Hi guys i need youre help.im writing down my goals for the future and i want to know exactly what are all the diffrent ways i can attain my plumbing licenese in California? I already know that i must be an apprentice for 5 years .but is there any other ways?if also heard something along the lines that i can get a master plumber to co sign for me is that true?thanks in advance

I'm not in California but the 5 year apprenticeship and licenced plumber signing for you go hand in hand. While you are working, you need a licenced plumber to sign your log book stating he has observed your work for so many hours.

Not California obviously, but here in Florida, if you have four years verified field experience concurrent with 4 years of an accredited apprenticeship program (night school), you can take your journeyman's test. More is required for a master's license, which is what you need to go out on your own.

To get your contractors license in ca you will need four years experience. Ca requires a fellow employee or licensed plumber to sign off for you.

This will get you your contractors license and nothing more. You will be able to do plumbing jobs of any kind but it doesn't make you any sort of journeyman or master plumber or anything else. They do things funny here.

Many states are getting away from master plumbers signing off / writing a letter for you beacuse the new wave licensed plumbers are signing off for friends & family with little to no experience. Many states are now using your w-2 to verify your employement with a company.

Does anyone have any information on getting a license in NYC? How much experience is needed? If I'm already working a steady full time job is on job experience enough or does it pay to go to school, would school make it any quicker or easier? Are pay stubs or w-2 forms necessary or is it enough to have my boss (licensed plumber) sign for me? Also if I have the required experience divided up into multiple states would I be able to get a license in any of those states or do I need the full experience in the state I wish you get my license? Thanks in advance

Does anyone have any information on getting a license in NYC? How much experience is needed? If I'm already working a steady full time job is on job experience enough or does it pay to go to school, would school make it any quicker or easier? Are pay stubs or w-2 forms necessary or is it enough to have my boss (licensed plumber) sign for me? Also if I have the required experience divided up into multiple states would I be able to get a license in any of those states or do I need the full experience in the state I wish you get my license? Thanks in advance

NYC.gov has all the needed info for NYC plumbing licensing.

mississippi, 4 years verifiable years to be a journeyman
then, 1 year verifiable as a journeyman
before you test out as master
you can run a plumbing co without a masters, but you can not pull permits with out a masters.
masters licenses # "SHALL" be posted on any vehicle involved in practice of

UPC state

is there any type of plumbers appt. program in your area? if you dont know,

call your city plumbing inspector, introduce your self and ask if they sponsor any app. programs in your area.
most inspectors i know will be tickled to help you out. AND A bonus, you will be meeting the inspector, that is always good to get a relationship started with them.

Is an apprenticeship paid? Because right now I'm working a paying job as a plumbers helper

Some companies will pay for the apprenticeship class, others won't. I was lucky enough to stumble into my first company that did pay for the class and encouraged it's better helpers to go through it.

So you're saying some companies will give a salary plus pay for the class?

yes, some will pay. others will not. are you a vet? I used my GI benefits .if your a Vet. seek out a VET REP

you asked about getting proof of work from different states. I think you will find the answer will be NO. different states use different codes, they also have there own license . you can always ask.

keep all your ck stubs. to verify employment. saving tax returns is ok, but does not show over time
ck stubs show over time, and those hours count

talk to your inspector, get a code book, read read read. and drive the journeymen you work with crazy with questions

Last edited:
with you experience in different states

if its was me, I would request a letter from the master you worked under. on his letter head
explaining the code you worked under, the hours you worked, the type of work you did
he should give you a recommendation
file that letter away. with other letters

getting to know your inspectors is important. especially if they give out the test

I transfered to Colorado from Mississippi. i was liscensed
but had to get a license in Colorado. the inspector
gave me a waver, to work under my Ms. license till i took the Co. test.
He was the one giving the test
on the day of the test, he handed them out
He handed me a history test [we were at a school]
I fooled him, I just started writing
he asked me what I was doing, [he was grinning]
I told him I had no clue, but I will pass this SOB anyway

Good Guy...Inspector Monty

So is there a benefit in doing an apprentice program rather than continuing with my job working for a small plumbing company?

Latest posts

Back