Small septic tank problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bismarcksd

Reaction score
So I'm staying in a friends flat, she has a small (300gal) septic system.
They had it cleaned out in July of 2013.

My problem is i'm an idiot, and put ridx in maybe twice in 9 months.
well, the water backed up this morning, so i had to wait 3 hours or so until i could flush some ridx down the toilet.

So with the tank filled with toilet paper and human waste, can i do multiple dosings of ridx and knock down the waste to where i don't have to worry??

Chemicals will not help the issue, in fact it can harm the drainfield. The fact is, 300 gallons will fill up with toilet paper and waste faster than the bugs can do their job. Another important issue is the size and type of drainfield.

The Ridx shouldn't hurt anything, but if you put cleaners and bleach down the drain, you can certainly wipe out the bugs that do all the work.

Another thing, with a tank that small, you want to use toilet paper that dissolves quickly. This kind of rules out all the brand name fluffy stuff.

Ridx is an enzyme that causes the bacteria to proliferate, they overaccumilate, die, and add to the tanks TSS. The dead bacteria flows to the drainfield and clogs it. This is why aerobic systems use clarifiers and screens before the discharge.

Ridx is an enzyme that causes the bacteria to proliferate, they overaccumilate, die, and add to the tanks TSS. The dead bacteria flows to the drainfield and clogs it.

This is why aerobic systems use clarifiers and screens before the discharge.

Can you explain why some localities do not approve aerobic systems? They seem to make more sense to me... :confused:

I am unaware as to why areas would not allow aerobic units, nearly all municipal wastewater facilities use heavy aeration. My best assumption is that there is a lack of ATT providers, ATT installers, designers, or dealers. Most areas rely on NSF-40 standards.

Aerobic Septic System Codes and Regulations

Check with your local health department because aerobic systems are not allowed in all areas. Some areas do not want the drain field area to be reduced which will happen if you use an aerobic septic system; however, other jurisdictions do allow drain filed reduction or even its elimination as long as you have pre-treatment. You will find that in some areas aerobic systems are being used on a trial basis or only in the event of a failed standard septic system.

NSF/ANSI 40 – 2000 Standard for Residential Water Treatment Systems documentation outlines the requirements and the approval process for aerobic septic systems. The approval for a aerobic units comes from local health departments or state authorities. Some requirements include alarms installed in the aerobic system to alert the homeowner of malfunctions and two years of manufacturer maintenance service.

SOURCE- http://www.damnseptictank.com/

I am a huge fan of ATT systems but some of the residential aerobic treatment systems have fairly bad designs and require more maintenance. However, even these high maintenance systems still give great lab results.

I am confused by the article you quoted, although an aerobic system can utilize a smaller df because of its high quality effluent, you can still utilize a lengthy df.

I have ATTs on 150' of df and the same ATT on 400' df's. My effluent test incredibly well and the df lines after the hydrosplitter are clean and sludge free.

I am a huge fan of Orencos Advatex ATT, it is anaerobic, and handles wastewater very nicely.

Latest posts

Back