help with a washing machine

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windy

Reaction score
Yeah, it's me again. You are probably all saying, "She only comes here when she wants something." It's true. I have a situation I think you all can help me with. It's not specifically a plumbing problem but it is a washing machine problem and washers fill with water, so, I made this connection.

Anyway I was washing a blouse I have that has a tie in the back so there were long strings on it. While washing it, one of those ties got all twisted around under the "swisher" thingy in the middle of the washing machine that swishes the clothes around when washing them. The tie is all wrapped up underneath the swisher and I can't pull it out. I want to remove that swisher thingy but I don't know how. I'm sure it's possible but I haven't been able to twist it out and I'm not sure how to get that thing out so I can untangle the tie.

Any ideas?

Welcome back Windy. What you are referring to is the agitator. Not knowing what type of washer you have, I can't help you with the removal. You need to know the tie is either wrapped clockwise or counterclockwise. Why don't you steal a pair of needlenose pliers out of Balota's tool box, grab a piece of the tie, and slowly work it to the left or the right until it begins to unwind.

You also might find a new and unique method of dancing while standing over said washer. (inside joke;))

This link might give you general idea how to remove the agitator. My agitator at home jiggles back and forth but works its way in a clockwise rotation. I would hope that if I had the same situation as you do, I would try working the strings counter clockwise like havasu mentioned.
My agitator can be removed kinda like they show on the link. First by removing the fabric softener dispenser and so on.
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/remove-agitater-top-loading-washing-machine-35595.html

Back