Baffled

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trices

Reaction score
I recently purchased a foreclosure 1961 ranch style home in Dallas, Texas. I have done DIY plumbing but am nowhere near a professional. Usually limited to fixing things that I screw up. First time working this thoroughly on an older home, and this much with a pier and beam. My wife and I gutted the kitchen, and there ended up being two VERY strange (at least to me) plumbing situations under, or near, the kitchen sink.

First, The drain pipe leading off to the right was directly beneath the kitchen sink, however I have NO idea what the drain pipe on the left directly on the main drain is for. Right next to it is a capped gas pipe and capped copper electrical that leads up to a switch. I can't imagine what type of appliance required a water drain, a gas pipe, and electrical that would be under a countertop. Thought I'd pick everyone else's brain on that one.

Second, there is a 3/8 copper pipe in front of the kitchen sink valves on the right hand side of the picture. The valves I recently replaced, and had a saddle valve with a 3/8 coming out of the top for a refrigerator, so I do not believe that's what it is for. The water is on, and the 3/8 from the floor is not flowing and if there is a valve it's under the house (difficult to reach this far back due to AC vents unfortunately) Anyone have any idea what this would possibly be for? I hate to try to pull it through in case it is hooked up to a valve somewhere, and I hate to just shove a copper water pipe into the crawlspace and forget it.

I appreciate any help you can give, and I am certain this will not be the last time I spend an hour staring at some pipes and resort to asking strangers online.

LILVICKEY - WIN_20140825_184546.jpg

While you have the wall open is the best time to get the copper drain lines changed out to PVC. And it wouldn't be a bad idea to get at least the copper water pipe in the wall changed out as well.

Reactions: SHR
Johnjh2o: Thanks for the information on the lines, it was bothering me.

Phishfood: Should I just replace with PVC back to the cast iron drain, or should I attempt to replace that as well?

Back