Valve just keeps turning

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYMike99

Reaction score
I had a hard time getting the handle off. The screw stripped so I roto zipped it off. Eventually the screw head broke.

After some brute force with the pliers, I eventually got the screw to back out, but not before the valve turned over a hundred times. It's a B Type valve.

I got a handle on and everything works but the valve keeps turning. The hot water is at about 8:00. Any higher or lower it's not very hot. At that position, it seems just hot enough. I recall it getting hotter before.

Is this going to be a problem during inspection when I sell my house? About to list it.

(I have the other thread on the drain issue)

Okay then.

That stem will turn 360. The handle has stops inside that hit the raised channel on the escutcheon tube so it should only turn 180 degrees, from 3 0'clock to 9 O'clock, if you have the tube and right handle.

If you replaced the handle with a Positemp handle the tube on the positemp is larger and the handle won't hit the stops on the Moentrol .

moen escutchoen tube (260x194) (260x194).jpg

Last edited:
Okay then.

That stem will turn 360. The handle has stops inside that hit the raised channel on the escutcheon tube so it should only turn 180 degrees, from 3 0'clock to 9 O'clock, if you have the tube and right handle.

If you replaced the handle with a Positemp handle the tube on the positemp is larger and the handle won't hit the stops on the Moentrol .

Hmm. I used all of the parts that came with it. Not sure why it's not catching. But if I have the handle off, the valve itself will continue to turn infinitely. Is that supposed to be happening.

Not sure what it was but I took it apart and put it back together and it works fine now.

Back