New tub drain won't tighten enough. HELP!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYMike99

Reaction score
I installed a new tub drain kit with overflow.

It's leaking because there's a gap between the PVC and the bottom of the tub. The gasket isn't pressed tight between the two.

I can push it flush to the tub without much effort but no matter how hard I tighten the drain it won't make a seal. I tightened it to the point the crossbars broke and I can still move the whole thing around.

I don't get why i can press the PVC and gasket flush to the base of the tub, but the drain won't tighten anymore. I tried less tape and less putty but nothing works.

Do I need a bigger a gasket to make up the difference?

Or can I just use caulk or marine glue instead of the gasket?

I am trying list my house for sale and I desperately need to finish this.

20140823_230545.jpg

Did the drain come with the neoprene gasket as well? I'm thinking you are missing a gasket or two.

Did the drain come with the neoprene gasket as well? I'm thinking you are missing a gasket or two.

The only gasket is the one between the tub and the pvc. Doesn't the drain just get plumber's putty?

The only other gasket is the one for the overflow.

my dad must have done that while i was in the crawl space. so I have to rebuild the whole p-trap then?

i was thinking that. so you would actually secure the shoe first and attach everything else while it's connected.

Last edited:
Ok, dumb question: what does it mean when you say it was cross-threaded? And what is the tub shoe?

(I'll need to know this for some future projects to avoid problems)

Also is there going to be more wood put under that tub where you can see the bottom of it?
I know its cosmetic, but for some reason I worry about the support. It looks like there are feet to support it that are just hanging in the air above the P-trap. I'm not sure if that is an issue or not though.

cross threading is when you dont thread a fitting properly and it gets threaded in at an angle. it happens alot with tubs because you are threading metal into plastic. john is referring to the strainer and shoe that mount to the bottom of the tub. once you cross thread the only thing you can do is start over.

Ok, dumb question: what does it mean when you say it was cross-threaded? And what is the tub shoe?

(I'll need to know this for some future projects to avoid problems)

Also is there going to be more wood put under that tub where you can see the bottom of it?
I know its cosmetic, but for some reason I worry about the support. It looks like there are feet to support it that are just hanging in the air above the P-trap. I'm not sure if that is an issue or not though.

There are other feet. That tub has been in that position for 15-20 years or so.

cross threading is when you dont thread a fitting properly and it gets threaded in at an angle. it happens alot with tubs because you are threading metal into plastic. john is referring to the strainer and shoe that mount to the bottom of the tub. once you cross thread the only thing you can do is start over.

Ohhh! Ok. Thank you. I will have to be careful of that if/when I install a new tub. If I'm understanding it correctly, I sometimes crossthread lids to my drinks (as well as jam jars) when I'm trying to put them back on. I somehow get them at an angle. I really need to find some exercises to do to improve my coordination and hand strength.

So, putting just the shoe on would make it easier to get it on straight-- since it will be a symmetrical shape, right? And then the pipes get hooked in...

I just ended up redoing the whole thing and installed the shoe first as recommended. Seems to work alright. The only tricky part was was putting the To on the overflow and shoe extensions.

Thanks for the advice.

Glad it worked out for you, Mike!

Latest posts

Back