Toilet Flange Over Pipe?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhatIsThat

Reaction score
Hi everyone. New member here, in need of some help.

Finishing off an upstairs bath, and I've run into something that has me scratching my head. The plumber who did the rough plumbing left a toilet flange sitting by the waste pipe. I went to install it today, but a couple things seem to be a problem.

First is that the pipe isn't centered in the hole. It's sitting right against one edge. I can move the pipe just slightly, but not much. Will there be a problem in having the pipe resting against the edge of the subfloor?

The other thing is that the PVC pipe on the flange fits over the outside of the waste pipe. That just doesn't seem right. The outside edge of the waste pipe looks like it's been cut away, or gouged, so that there's a flat spot instead of it being perfectly round. But even if it were perfect, it just seems that the flange pipe should sit inside the drain, not out.

Any help would be appreciated!!

It looks like 3". Here is a picture, if that helps explain better!
6f63c379-680e-4c85-8540-8b3b6d4e4763_zpsf4320537.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

the pipe looks like it may have been damaged. Flanges are made to either glue onto the outside of the pipe or inside a fitting. Sometimes you can glue a 3" hub (designed to glue on to a 3" pipe) inside a 4" pipe. BUT it is not a tight fit and not recommended. The hub on your flange should be a snug fit about 3/4 of the way on. glue helps it go on the rest of the way. TIGHT.

Careful with the primer. it can stick your pipe together when dry test fitting. Prime it only when you're ready to glue it.

Hole is off maybe because the carpenter was off just a little. just trim the hole a little if needed

after you glue it on rotate the flange so the red circles I added are where the bolts will go. the screw the flange to the floor with Brass wood screws.

flange7.jpg

Latest posts

Back