Are there alternatives to putty around strainer baskets?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globaltree

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have double sided Kohler porcelain coated cast iron under mount kitchen sink (salvaged) -- the kind with a narrow shallow sink on left, and wide deep sink on right -- beautifully installed under granite countertop; however, after four separate strainer baskets, and heaps of putty, it still leaks around the basket of the small side--I believe the contours of the drain hole are defective... Is there anything besides plumbers putty that is still loose enough to remove the baskets in future, but firm and tacky enough to fill the irregular shaped sink hole so it will stop leaking? Any and all advice is appreciated, as I have done this all myself, without any guidance...

Post a photo or two of the basket strainer you are using and the defect in the sink.

The putty is not your problem. Either the strainer basket or the installation are bad. Make sure the rubber washer is under the sink directly in contact with the cast iron and the cardboard or white plastic washer is between the rubber washer and the nut. Be sure to sufficiently tighten the strainer basket to the bottom of the sink.

Last edited:
Back